Brand new 300 HP Johnson Motor from early 80s

Liz Ann

Cadet
We have a brand new, still in the box Johnson Seahorse from the early 80s. Where could we find out what it is worth too sell it? It is still in the original packaging. Languished in my in-laws garage for several decades.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Brand new 300 HP Johnson Motor from early 80s

What's the model number?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it's still in the orginal box there should be a model # on it.

Liz Ann

Cadet

What's the model number?

The numbers on the outside of the box are:
70 EC79

On one of the parts boxes inside the box it says:

Are any of these it?
I didn't want to take the whole thing out to find the paperwork...very big and heavy. If none of these are it, I will dig further.
thanks,
Liz Ann

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The serial number 5114078 indicates that this is a 2005 90 hp engine. Originally sold into Florida.

Liz Ann

Cadet

The serial number 5114078 indicates that this is a 2005 90 hp engine. Originally sold into Florida.

Can't be because they bought the motel in 1980 something. He was lead counsel for Johnson. When he retired in late 70's he bought the motor so he could use it in his retirement. Never got around to it. That must not be the serial #. He told us he bought the biggest one they had when he quit because he got a screaming deal on it. Where else could I look for a serial #? Besides it is HUGE. The box comes to my neck. Had to stand on a chair to look in.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Open it up & look on the plate- I CAN tell you its NOT a 300HP from the '80's--

emoney

Commander

A 90hp model would come up to your neck too and it would also be in a very big box. If you open the top of the box, odds are you can see the cowling and it will say on it. Cowling is the "motor cover" or the lid.

the 300 didnt come out till 85 that doesnt mean that someone in the company could not get one earlier but it would be a rare beast. not realy sure that the extra hp would have that much affect on the resale value of the motor because its still a old motor and not in the good way.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Best thing to do is open the box or cut a hole in the side of it to find out what it actually is. Would end discussion.

unleaded

Seaman Apprentice

yeah a mid 80's johnson 300 should be a number something like CJ300TLCDC or CJ300TLCOS for instance

Best thing to do is open the box or cut a hole in the side of it to find out what it actually is. Would end discussion.

thats no fun this is like find a x-mas prezzy that got lost years ago. you have to shake it first.....

take a picture of the box then open it. the picture will prove it was still in the box so it wont affect it value. you will need to open the box to see if its just the motor or if the controller and cables are there as well as this will affect its resale value

Liz Ann

Cadet

thats no fun this is like find a x-mas prezzy that got lost years ago. you have to shake it first.....

take a picture of the box then open it. the picture will prove it was still in the box so it wont affect it value. you will need to open the box to see if its just the motor or if the controller and cables are there as well as this will affect its resale value

Good Idea! We are taking our son to college in CA tomorrow so when I return I will look for sure.
Thanks!
Liz Ann

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What ever happened

Liz Ann

Cadet

What ever happened

Just got back this evening. Will check in the next day or two. The cables are in the box, I looked before we left.
Will post as soon as I see... Liz Ann

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Please do that. You have everybody hanging in suspense, myself included.

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2nd what boobie said I'm excited to see a pic of that bad boy

Liz Ann

Cadet

2nd what boobie said I'm excited to see a pic of that bad boy

Holy Smokes!
I wrote yesterday and when I hadn't heard anything I looked and somehow it never posted.
So sad to say that Papa's BIGGEST engine they made story was just that. An urban legend.

I opened the box up and found the bag with the owners manuel and turns out one of those #s I first wrote in was it.
It is a 75 hp from 1979. It is still new and still in the original box with all its parts but it is not a 300 hp.
When we played bridge all those years he would tell us of the huge engine he was going to take us fishing and water skiing.

Anyway, I still need to know what it is worth and where a person can sell one other than eBay.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to get everyone all excited for nothing. I took pics but the site here won't let me upload them from my iPad for some
Reason.
Thanks again!
Liz Ann

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'm just going to go and sit in the corner and cry. LOL................. Craigs list maybe ? Ad in paper ? Local dlrs ?