1977 Evinrude 4hp oil/water "goo" coming out of the exhaust.

Sunbirdy

Recruit
As the title says, there's grey goo (Like water/oil mixed ) coming out of the 4 vertically-oriented engine water outlet holes on the rear of the "leg". Only on one side though. Its a 2 cylinder motor. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1977 Evinrude 4hp oil/water "goo" coming out of the exhaust.

Sounds like a common situation, unburnt fuel mixture mixing with the carbon in the exhaust housing and the exhaust blows it out.

Sunbirdy

Recruit

I'll pull the spark plugs and see if one cylinder is not firing. Just replaced the coils though.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

On a 2-cycle engine you will have unburnt fuel in the exhaust even if the engine is running properly. If the engine is running on both cylinders, it is a normal condition. Take it out on the water and run it at high speed, it will clear it out.

Sunbirdy

Recruit

On a 2-cycle engine you will have unburnt fuel in the exhaust even if the engine is running properly. If the engine is running on both cylinders, it is a normal condition. Take it out on the water and run it at high speed, it will clear it out.

Bad news! I started the engine up this am thinking I'd warm it up then check the spark plugs. It ran, then quit and when I pulled the plugs, the lower one had water drops on the electrode. Water was getting in to one cylinder somehow. I think this little motor might be finished.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Maybe not, pull the head and check the condition of the head gasket.

Sunbirdy

Recruit

Maybe not, pull the head and check the condition of the head gasket.

I'm going to expose my ignorance here and say that I've never worked on an outboard before. I'm assuming that this head removal can be accomplished easily without removing the powerhead by removing the head retaining bolts then gently prying the head loose?
Thank you in advance.

nwcove

Admiral

yep, should be an easy job, just be carefull not to break any of the head bolts. a new head gasket should be less than 10 bucks.

Sunbirdy

Recruit

Thank you. I shall give it a try.