1989 60 hp evinrude top cyl not there...Part 2

atsmaboat

Cadet
This started with the top cylinder not firing but other 2 did & now I've got it going (with muffs on tho)-- carb clean out etc and thought all was good til I took it to the lake -- started great, idled great, but couldn't throttle up much beyond 1/2 speed. I am noticing that the exhaust seems to sound awfully loud for this motor. What effect could that have...related to problem or no? If anyone could offer a brief overview of exhaust effect on power it would be appreciated. On a side note, this has one of the steel fuel tanks & I'm noticing alot of pressure build up when I remove the cap. Is that cap supposed to be on tight as it will go when operating or is it better to just turn it to the first catch position. I thought these were vented through the 2 prong connection fitting but now not sure. Thnx for help.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 60 hp evinrude top cyl not there...Part 2

does it seem loud on muffs :p

firstly the basics ,
is it getting a good spark ? does it jump an open air gap on a spark tester on all 3
what is your compression readings on all 3
After cleaning the carbs , i'd look at doing a lync and sync to make sure they are opening at the same time and exactly when they should be.

i was experiencing power loss with my 1990 60hp a while back and it turned out to be a broken reed plate behind a carb, only noticed after I was doing a spark drop test (removing the spark lead while trolling).

My tank is plastic but I do have to screw open a vent on the lid as the fuel connector doesn't vent on mine.