Johnson V4 88 Special - Hard Starting when warm - Fouling plugs - Low idle - Pics

reelbite

Recruit
I purchased this motor less then three weeks ago and am finding it is going to need some work.

-PROBLEMS-
-Im having a very hard time starting the motor after it is warm, the more times you turn it off the worse it gets to restart.
-Appears to be fouling plugs after short amount of time and smells extremely rich.
-I found rust caked on first set of spark plugs, changed plugs and after 3 hours of use same problem occurred.
-Very low idle i think this has a lot to do with the hard starting.
- I believe it is a timing screw in the linkage on the side of the motor is not touching the plate. not sure if this would alter timing or if the screw has other purpose (pics below)
- After removing the heads i seen little tubes below the cylinders and im not sure of there purpose or condition look almost pinched off at the end.

-SOLUTION?-
-I purchase head gaskets, water jacket gaskets and thermostat kit for starters, i didnt know if there was a way that water could be getting into the motor creating that dark red rusty color i am seeing.
- I ordered another set of spark plugs and will gap to the recommended spec
- I ordered carb kits with float to rebuild both carbs
-I also am installing new water pump.

Do you guys see any other potential issues, or know of anything else that would cause me to be having running issues with this motor?

WP_000060.jpgWP_000065.jpgWP_000066.jpgView attachment 164731View attachment 164732

Attachments

• WP_000070.jpg
    WP_000070.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_000071.jpg
    WP_000071.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 0

reelbite

Recruit
Re: Johnson V4 88 Special - Hard Starting when warm - Fouling plugs - Low idle - Pics

WP_000066.jpgWP_000067(1).jpgWP_000068(1).jpgWP_000069.jpgWP_000072.jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson V4 88 Special - Hard Starting when warm - Fouling plugs - Low idle - Pics

Water diverters.jpgA saltwater engine? You've got a lot of crud built up inside the head covers. Best to clean the heads out before you put the covers back on. Also, I'd clean the passages around each cyl and install new water deflectors by each cyl. That's the rubber hose. (see attached picture.) One of piston crowns looks really dry. You may need to get into the carbs. They may need to be overhauled. Pull the jets and visually inspect each. Make sure you clean the passages with a Gumout type product. (that's one of the few products that will dissolved dried fuel in the passages.) Good call on new stats and impeller!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Water diverters.jpgA saltwater engine? You've got a lot of crud built up inside the head covers. Best to clean the heads out before you put the covers back on. Also, I'd clean the passages around each cyl and install new water deflectors by each cyl. That's the rubber hose. (see attached picture.) Good call on new stats and impeller.

Last edited:

reelbite

Recruit

thanks for the advice, ill add the deverters to the order list. Is the reason for this engine looking the way it does neglect? Or could a gasket have gone bad and water entered areas it wasn't meant to?

Lots of work ahead, ill take pics of each step after i complete them and keep everyone updated... not many threads have pics to help diagnose problems.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It is very possible that the seal ring on the starboard top cyl was bad. Since you've taken the heads off, you will new new head gaskets. That may fix any water leak. Keep an eye on that plug after you run the engine.