1997 evinrude 115 intruder rough running

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1997 evinrude 115 intruder 60 degree motor

i have had an ongoing issue with my evinrude. boat starts up fine, but will not idle for more then 10 seconds during those 10 seconds the idle is at about 750-800 tops.

I have drained the fuel and added an inline fuel filter, same issue.

i checked compression and all cylinders are at between 90 and 93.

i checked spark, all have a strong blue spark.

I pulled the thermostats out of the engine today, they are enclosed in plastic. I am fairly easily able to blow through one, the other is almost impossible. I have heard that thermostats sticking one way or the other can cause some symptoms i describe.

I am unsure how my thermostats should respond as ive never dealt with these enclosed types before.

Can thermostat issues cause the rough idle? what should the compression be for my motor? and what other things should i check. Thank you to anyone who can answer these questions for me.

p.s. i had started a thread about spark plugs that i was updating with new findings. thought i would make a new thread to describe my new issues as spark plugs doesnt seem to be an issue.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1997 evinrude 115 intruder rough running

I would bet your rough idle is totally related to your carbs.....he thermostats MIGHT give you issues in the winter....but not idle issues in the summer..

take the carbs off and totally dissasemble them clean all the passages, and rebuild them with all new gaskets kits...and use new intake and carb gaskets as well.....

bob

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the replies. i think i am going to rebuild all the carbs and replace the thermostats. Searching on iboats for my thermostats and they dont look anything like the ones i pulled from my motor.

http://www.iboats.com/Thermostat-fo...6409433--session_id.811908976--view_id.369051
this is the one that came from my motor. but doesnt say its for a 1997. is this correct?

and i cannot find my rebuild kits on iboats. any help would be appreciated as i would really like to buy from this site that supplies this forum.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i forgot to mention i had the vro pump removed 2 seasons ago.

that carb kit looks like it fits motors in the 150 hp range? are you sure that is the correct one? just hate the idea of buying something that isnt right. only so much boating season left for me :)

Im going to look to see if the motor has had an inline filter in it for the last 2 seasons. i have a feeling when the vro pump was removed nothing was replaced. i have added one. Im going to get two new thermostats and the rebuild kits. I know after i remove the carbs im going to have to re link them. i have the evinrude service manuel for this motor and hopefully i can figure that out. it seems fairly detailed enough, but not exactly worded in common man terms. if anyone can dumb it down for me id appreciate it. Thanks for everyones help.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that carb kit is correct, thank you very much for that information. It really means alot to me.

Now im having an issue with the correct thermostats.

according to iboats/evinrudes shop section my motor. E115GLEUC.

Should be useing thermostat 437090. but what i took out was a 435491. Both appear to be for that year and hp range. just different model numbers. I do not know if the previous owner had these replaced and someone put the wrong ones in, or even if useing these could damage the motor. If anyone can help out with this issue i would really appreciate it.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the way i was looking at it made it seem like the C suffix made my motor only require 1 thermostat. my motor requires two. thank you again for your help.