ready to soak carb in cleaner but a question first

the k-man

Cadet
I have taken and removed my carb and am going to soak it, but am wondering if I can leave the throttle and choke valves on. It doesnt look like there are any plastic or rubber gaskets around it. I dont really want to take all the springs and pins out to remove the throttle valve as it looks a bit complicated. So is it necessary?

Also there are three plastic rollers. The manual does not say how to remove them. The exploded view makes it seem as you just use brute force to pull them off. Is that true? these are circled in red below.

the engine is a 1969 85hp evinrude 85993e

So this is how I would soak it minus the plastic pieces circled in red.

carbcircles.jpg

Also I know everyone says to soak it, but all the pathways allow my flashlight to let light through with ease. If I just spay carb cleaner in all the opening and blow with compressed air would that suffice?

thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: ready to soak carb in cleaner but a question first

If you soak it you should remove the plastic parts. The 2 little ones come off by squeezing the little ends togeather and the roller should pop off. The problem is that a lot of the time plastic gets brittle and will break when you try to remove them.
Personally, unless the carb is really contaminated with crud, I usually use spray break cleaner and compressed air to clean them. Make sure to remove core plugs and all orifices to make sure every passage gets cleaned.

the k-man

Cadet

Thanks, yes it does not seem that dirty so i am not going to soak it. Thanks for all of your replies to my other questions as well.
-kevin

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Let us know how it works out for you.

the k-man

Cadet

one other question, should I completely spray and clean the screws and low speed needles before reassembly, and if so do I need to lubricate them at all?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I clean every thing, no need to lube the low speed needles.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you had a gallon of BRP Engine Tuner you could soak the plastics parts, carb and ect for as long as you want and it wouldn't hurt them. Plus everything would get cleaned.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

i don't think the question got answered. You should NOT remove the throttle and choke plates. To do so would destroy them, and replacements most likely are not available.

the k-man

Cadet

okay thanks for the clarification on the throttle and choke plates.

Everything was going smoothly until I was inserting the new core plugs. The replacements are not a tight fit on their own. The first was a nice tight fit, but the other three just drop in and can be taken out. The manual says to apply a bead of "sealer 1000" to the edge. Is their a comparable sealer available at a west marine store. Or should I try and order new core plugs hoping for a tighter fit so no sealer is needed.

the k-man

Cadet

Google is telling me 3M #847 is the replacement sealer I am looking for is this true? Just a metal to metal sealer?

Also is this the best choice I feel like the chance of getting core plugs with closer machining tolerances is not good.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The core plugs have to be flattened out. Insert the core plug with the dome facing up. Use something flat, large punch, socket, anything you have that is slightly smaller than the plug. Use a hammer and lightly seat the plug until it is flat. Don't overdo it, you don't want to dish the plug down. I don't use sealer on the plugs, some do.