'88 johnson 15hp overheat mystery...

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, mystery to me. Water was coming poorly out the telltale and I could idle and run slow but any kind of speed it would overheat and blow steam. Impeller I thought, no biggie. I changed the impeller and housing and grommet seal (all came in kit). I also replaced the head gasket and thermostat, just to be thorough. Put it on muffs at home and the stream was way better and revved it a bit and it stayed cool (didn't rev too much). Went out on the bay crabbing tonight and lo and behold same thing. Although the stream is better out the telltale, once it revs and I do any speed with it same thing, steam and overheat. There's still water at the telltale but it spits and sputters until I rev down, then it cools down. I wasn't out far so it wasn't a big deal to get back in just idling basically but is there anything else I could have missed? The water jackets weren't corroded, the head was clean and all passages seemed clear. The water tube matched up ok when I put the leg back on so I'm at a bit of a loss here...any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: '88 johnson 15hp overheat mystery...

Defective exhaust cover gasket allowing compression to pressurize the cooling system at higher RPM????????

Rick.

Captain

Defective exhaust cover gasket allowing compression to pressurize the cooling system at higher RPM????????
That or the infamous upper grommet. At the top of the water tube there is a grommet that has a history of collapsing. When hooked to a hose it gets enough pressure to swell it open but normal pump pressure won't get by it. I haven't had one go bad but lots have. You have to remove the power head to get at it unfortunately. Best of luck. Rick.

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That or the infamous upper grommet. At the top of the water tube there is a grommet that has a history of collapsing. When hooked to a hose it gets enough pressure to swell it open but normal pump pressure won't get by it. I haven't had one go bad but lots have. You have to remove the power head to get at it unfortunately. Best of luck. Rick.

Is removing the power head a big job on these things? This is what I'm suspecting as the lower grommet on the impeller housing was in bad shape...

raczekp1

Lieutenant

6 bolts from under cowling, 3 bolts inside cowling, recoil starter, carb siliencer, coils, fuel pump filter :all this parts should be removed.
1 hour of slow work

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update, yeah it was the upper water grommets on the inlet and exhaust outlet tubes....

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Glad you found your problem.