1991 v6 200hp evinrude looper engine overheating

compoundxx75

Cadet
Ok first have been reading alot in here and getting excellent information. Actually fixed a few small problems through other posts. Here is my question. I have just gotten my engine back from a mechanic and now Im thinking he's taken me for a ride. First was I wanted all the lower unit seals replaced. The water pump and impeller since its been at least 5 years since it was last known to be done. He told me that the carbs needed rejetted due to the ethenol and he did some other minor stuff. Now that I got it back its overheating. I think I read in another post to take the thermostats out and see if its pumping water through. Is this a correct way to check this?

emoney

Commander
Re: 1991 v6 200hp evinrude looper engine overheating

It's a good start, but if he replaced the water pump, shouldn't you call him? He oughta stand behind his work I'd think. T-stat isn't difficult to check. Cook it in a pot of water and watch it till it opens and at what temp. It should open around 140 degrees, but no more than 160. If it's opening, then I'd think he missed something (like the key, for example)

compoundxx75

Cadet

It's a good start, but if he replaced the water pump, shouldn't you call him? He oughta stand behind his work I'd think. T-stat isn't difficult to check. Cook it in a pot of water and watch it till it opens and at what temp. It should open around 140 degrees, but no more than 160. If it's opening, then I'd think he missed something (like the key, for example)

Have been and right now he's not at his shop. I have left a message on his machine. I appreciate the response and he better stand behind his work.

compoundxx75

Cadet

emoney just checked the t-stats and both opened up just above 140 and finished opening about 160. I also put the engine on muffs which I never before had a problem getting water to pump through until now. I would always get a good stream. I have the t-stat covers off and when running there is NO water coming into the area where the t-stats were. I'm not a qualified mech but that to me seems like the water pump is not pumping water to where it belongs. Am I correct on that? And it shouldn't take any time for water to get there since it should be up to there and heating until the t-stats open correct?