TILT/ TRIM on 1982 115 Johnson

Mavilini

Cadet
I installed a tilt/trim kit for my 115 Johnson motor, coming off the trim are two groups of wires. There is 1 group of 2 black wires and the other group of 3 are black, green and blue/green. I've been using a battery + and - posts to raise and lower the trim to check if it worked. What are the 2 black wires that are grouped together, and what do they connect to? Also I was wondering is there a switch I can install on my dash for the tilt/trim because the trim switch on the control arm is broken. Thanks

Mavilini

Cadet
Re: TILT/ TRIM on 1982 115 Johnson

Did more research and found out that the switch is my trim gauge, but still need to know if I can buy a switch for my tilt/trim?

need a pic or idea of what you have. do you have a black box that the wires go to then go to the trim pump or are the wires you are on about going to the trim pump what wires are you touching to + and - to make the trim go up? what wires are you touching to + and - to make the trim go down

Mavilini

Cadet

need a pic or idea of what you have. do you have a black box that the wires go to then go to the trim pump or are the wires you are on about going to the trim pump what wires are you touching to + and - to make the trim go up? what wires are you touching to + and - to make the trim go down

Here are the pics. I also included pics of the wires coming from the control arm. When I connected the wires from the trim to the wires from the control arm nothing happened and I had juice from battery. Thanks

trim wire2.jpgTrim wires.jpg

ok you seem to be missing the relay control box for a trim unit. the wires do not connect together but go to a control box thats under the cowling of the outboard. it should be black plastic about 2" by 3" with 2 screws holding the cover on. look to see if you have a control box. if you dont have a control box then either buy a used one or make one with 2 relays. "I've been using a battery + and - posts to raise and lower the trim to check if it worked." this quote has me confussed ......did you get the trim pump to work or not? if not we need to test the pump and once you confirm where the other end of the blue/green and black go (with picture) i will tell you how to test it

Mavilini

Cadet

ok you seem to be missing the relay control box for a trim unit. the wires do not connect together but go to a control box thats under the cowling of the outboard. it should be black plastic about 2" by 3" with 2 screws holding the cover on. look to see if you have a control box. if you dont have a control box then either buy a used one or make one with 2 relays. "I've been using a battery + and - posts to raise and lower the trim to check if it worked." this quote has me confussed ......did you get the trim pump to work or not? if not we need to test the pump and once you confirm where the other end of the blue/green and black go (with picture) i will tell you how to test it

To raise the tilt/trim I touch the black cable to the (-) post on the battery and the blue cable to the positive and it raises fully, and to lower it, the black cable stays on the (-) post and I use the green cable on the (+) post and it lowers. I think I need a relay box because I did not see one. I will try to look for a used one. Thanks.

I do have one more question to ask. On the pic I attached in this reply, does the orange cable go to the (+) of the battery, and does the other group of wires go to the (-) or do they attach to the (+) also? Do you happen to know what the wires are for? When I got the boat someone stole the battery. Thanks

batt wires.jpg

Last edited:

les wetzel

Recruit

i have the above problem and do have black box i am installing the motor onto my restored 16 footerand have purchased the motor from a friend and forgot to ask for details my regards les from paeroa nz