1996 3cyl. Johnson 25hp steering friction scew stripped

fishv12

Recruit
Good evening all,

I have an 1996 3cyl. Johnson 25hp with model number J25RMLED which has a stripped steering friction screw. A bolt was used in it's place which didn't belong so the hole was bored a size even bigger than what it should have been. I also have a feeling that the shaft/bushing inside is damaged as the tip of the bolt is all rounded.

Any help is appreciated. I am quite fond of the motor has it has sentimental value. I would like it fixed good as new. Currently it is in a shop but I am afraid that it won't be properly fixed so I would like your advice on what I should look for.

Thanks in advance!
Simon

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 3cyl. Johnson 25hp steering friction scew stripped

Sorry to say this but you might be looking at some $$$$ to fix it corrrectly.

fishv12

Recruit

Is it impossible to find ppl who cares these days? My grandfather just recently passed away and he had given me this boat a year ago. I spent a few days with him completely repainting the trailer which he built himself. One thing my grandfather tought me is to care about your work. Now everyone seems to want to get rid of you and make a quick dollar for a job half ***. In reality I don't care how much it will cost I just want it fixed WELL. Anyone here care to tell me what it involves? So I don't get screwed by a shop which might not care.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you want it fixed like new, replace the swivel bracket and all the associated screws and bushings. It will involve pretty much tearing the engine apart to replace the swivel bracket. Take a look at the parts breakdown and you will see what has to come apart.
By the way, boobie is correct, going to cost.
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...nown&isFrPG=false&forItemCode=&pCode=C0111154