Johnson 15 hp coil

herenveen

Cadet
I am an complete noob at this area

I need new coils for my 15 hp johnson. They told me that i need
2.but 1 coil, Is that than a set of 2? Or do i need to buy 2 of the same.
Because when i looked at a picture of one. It looked like it had 2 connections.
So i thought that that maybe counted as 2 coils.

It is an johnson 15 hp 2 stroke build in 1991

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Re: Johnson 15 hp coil

That motor has two cylinders, therefore you would have 2 coils on it. That does not mean that you automatically need two new ones. Who told you that you needed two? Did they verify that both were not working or were they just pointing out that your motor uses two?

herenveen

Cadet

1 is not working, but they told me that i better replace both of them. Because the other one will stop working soon.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I usually end up buying both when the time comes to replace them, unfortuneately they are not cheap (at least in my opinion), but they are a pretty easy replacement. Anyway, the two connections you mentioned, are required for each coil. One should have a spark plug boot on the end and the other an electrical clip of some sort. As I mentioned above, the motor requires one coil for each cylinder.

terry 5.2m

Cadet

I usually end up buying both when the time comes to replace them, unfortuneately they are not cheap (at least in my opinion), but they are a pretty easy replacement. Anyway, the two connections you mentioned, are required for each coil. One should have a spark plug boot on the end and the other an electrical clip of some sort. As I mentioned above, the motor requires one coil for each cylinder.

Glad I just so happened to view this post.

I have a #4 cyl coil that has a crack and I have been debating on whether I should replace the one or just go ahead and replace all 4. Its a 77 Johnson 115Hp. I was going to peform a spark gap check and measure each coil but if money was not a issue doesnt it just make sense to change them all out at the same time?

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

When money is not an issue a lot of options start to open up. In my case, neither coil was failing, but they had many cuts in the plastic and were very, very corroded. Since I was doing a fairly extensive rebuild in other areas, there was no way I was going to put those ugly coils back on it. New coils look so nice on a 15Hp motor, even though I am sure I am about the only one that ever gets a chance to look at them. It's also nice to have the spares around at times.