Couple of Questions re: Rebuilding Carb - 1957 Johnson

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Decided to post to a new thread instead of continuing the longer, older thread about the rough running motor, since I'm now engrossed in the carburetor rebuild.

First question: Am I supposed to do anything with the solenoid on the bottom of the carb? And, should it look like this:
photo.jpg

Next question: How do I remove the armature plate? I've got the exploded view in front of me, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove it from the shaft. I'd like to get it off so I can bring it into the house to work on it; it's about 102 here now.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Couple of Questions re: Rebuilding Carb - 1957 Johnson

Solenoid should be fine.

4 screws hold the armature plate on. 2 long screws which go through the coils, and 2 short screws inbetween the points and the coils.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks - got it off. I may have to set up a live video feed in my workshop to get help putting this thing back together, though...Actually, I've got the carb all back together except for the tiny cotter pins; mine was held together with little lengths of copper wire, and I didn't want to put those back on there - but I also didn't want to pay a couple of bucks apiece for "vintage" cotter pins. I'm currently efforting a source for the little things. As soon as I have them, I'll reinstall the carb.

In the meantime, I'm going to take the armature plate down to the local auto parts store and get some new plug wires. Figure I might as well do it all while I'm at it.

EDIT: While I'm here, I have another question or three. I can identify the coils - those are the two biggest components on the armature plate, no? But I'm not sure about the other components. I think the condensers are the smaller, silver doodads that look like AA batteries cut in half; but what are the points? Are those the silver spring-clip looking things mounted down low in the plate?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You got it! Make sure you get copper core wire, or metallic core, NOT graphite like you would use in your car.

nwcove

Admiral

the points are the little spring clip looking things , and the condensers are the small silver do-dads. and jmo....but do not use regular automotive wires. you need metallic core wire. just a tip, but do some reading in the top secret file at the beginning of this forum, theres a wealth of good info there ..with pics!

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks; I actually got a tip from another reader about using metal-core wires from Tractor Supply. Glad everybody spoke up or I surely would've bought the wrong thing.