'77 Johnson 70 hp - M 70773S- Plastic part between shift rod and cable broke

wirenut62

Recruit
I've spent the afternoon going through your forum and haven't found the answer to my question, but have learned a great deal about the workings of my motor. My question is, what is the name of the plastic part on the shift rod that secures to the arm of the shift mechanism and the cable going to the control panel in the boat? I can't find a schematic that shows a part like this and was told by two marinas the part is no longer available to order. Surely Johnson has some kind of coupling that would take the place of the plastic part. It is a very crucial part that looks to be simple to replace, but so complicated to locate information about it. Up until this morning on the lake I've had no problems, then suddenly when I started to leave my fishing hole, it wouldn't go into forward or reverse. After being towed by to the dock, I removed the cover on the motor and found the broken shift link. Any help would sure be appreciated and I want to say, It is a relief to have found your forum because from what I've read today, you guys know what you're doing and it means so much to have a place I can come to find information.

Sincerely,
Wirenut62

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: '77 Johnson 70 hp - M 70773S- Plastic part between shift rod and cable broke

Welcome to iboats.

Go to shopevinrude.com and it has a full parts breakdown and actually tells what is still available. Even if it's NLA copy the part # and do a search

wirenut62

Recruit
Re: '77 Johnson 70 hp - M 70773S- Plastic part between shift rod and cable broke

I've just gone to the site and I'm on this page: http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=b3ok55hcma37h5kq45trq5csa0&catalog_id=0&siteid=1 -- would you please take a look at the options on the left and tell me which heading I would go under to find information about plastic union between cable and gear shifting rod? I'm thinking it would be under Remote Accessories but don't see anything that looks like the white plastic part.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

its called the yoke link to bell housing part no .0318567