1976 Evinrude 35hp - magneto dragging on flywheel

lindy46

Captain
Tuning up a 1976 35hp Evinrude. Put in new points and condensers, put the flywheel back on and the mag plate is catching on the flywheel, and the throttle just keeps kicking back to idle speed. The stator and coil are properly aligned with the bosses on the mag plate. When I had the flywheel off, there was a lot of grease/oil which I cleaned up. There is a track or groove around the perimeter of the mag plate where a ridge on the edge of the flywheel rides. It was pretty greasy so I cleaned it up. Now I'm thinking that maybe there is supposed to be grease in that groove so the flywheel doesn't bind. Anybody have any experience with this?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Evinrude 35hp - magneto dragging on flywheel

Is there any side play in the mag plate ?? And no, it should not need any grease.

lindy46

Captain

No side play. There was no binding before pulling the flywheel. The stator really isn't very adjustable, as three bolts hold it in place. I tried adjusting it in a little, but it didn't make much difference.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you had the flywheel off since you noticed the binding??

lindy46

Captain

Yes, it is off again. Looks like the stator was dragging, but I don't know why - it is mounted properly.

lindy46

Captain

Well there is a little play in the mag plate. Apparently someone worked on the motor before and had set the stator and coil too far in to avoid the binding. That probably caused the weak spark which was causing the motor to run crappy. So I put it back together with coils and stator in proper position and got the binding. So how do you get rid of the play on this mag plate? Not like the older motors where you can put a few dimples in the ring underneath. Looks like there is also a plastic ring under there - could that be the problem?

redheaddiesel

Seaman Apprentice

I'm having the exact same problem with a 1975 25 HP Evinrude. Would you mind telling me what the problem was and if you successfully fixed it?

Thanks,

Matt.

82rude

Rear Admiral

read up on how to set your coils its really a 10 second fix.if you were at a shop they would use a coil locating ring but since the average joe doesnt have one i just use my finger and feel.basically you want the coil end to be exactly even with the end of the mount that it sits on.use a straight edge if you wish ,if it still drags just go in a tiny bit.works for me every time.

redheaddiesel

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome. I think this is good news. I have two external coils and a third under the flywheel. I'm guessing that what you are talking about is that extra coil on the magneto plate that is sticking out two far and rubbing against the flywheel?

Uh oh...If I pulled on it (trying to start it) quite a bit, might I have damaged that coil? The flywheel?

Feeling a bit moronic...

Matt.

redheaddiesel

Seaman Apprentice

I brought the coil in and it is still binding. Same problem as this guy had where the lip of the flywheel is catching in the groove of the magneto plate. There is also some slop in the magneto plate, could this be the cause? Is there a solution? Thanks,

Matt.