1972 Johnson 100 hp bogging at high thottle

jbch

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my boat at high throttle. It starts good, and idles good, but on the lake it bogs down and won't plane out. I have gone through the carbs twice and every passage is clean. But I suspect I still have a fuel problem, so I want to run a few questions by the experts before I go back in to them one more time.

I rebuilt these carbs last year and put kits in them, but with these carbs, everything is fixed jets, no adjustments. So essentially all I did was thoroughly clean, replace some gaskets and the needle and seat, and adjust the float. I adjusted the float according to the factory manual, (parallel to housing), however I read today in a thread by Joe Reeves that the float needs to be angled just slightly upward when held upside down and not exactly parallel with the housing.

I feel like I'm flooding out, and here is why. When I pumped the fuel bulb after re-assembling everything, I notice a little fuel leaking out the front of the carbs, and the bulb never got rock hard. Also, when I took it to the lake yesterday, it seemed a little hard to start like it was flooded, and then once I got it running it idled good, but once again, it wouldn't plane out after idling past the no wake buoys. I also pumped the priming bulb, and it didn't help one bit. I thought it might be a timing issue, so I made some minor adjustments both ways on the timing stop, but it didn't make any difference. (I need to check timing to make sure everything is good once I can get it to run good.) I parked it and went out with the friends for several hours. On returning to trailer it, I started it up and kind of got on it a little, (no one around in the no wake zone) and it seemed to perk up and it actually got on plane, but I had to slow down after a minute and then it wouldn't pick back up after that.

To me this sounds like it?s flooding out or loading up. I think my spark is fine, because the battery CD ignition is brand new, I checked and re-booted all wires, and cleaned all exposed brass on the rotor and distributor.

So finally here is my question. Could it be anything other than the floats/needles not sealing good that would cause a flooding condition? Since everything is fixed on these carbs, is there anything else that can be adjusted to fix a rich mixture, other than the float/needle. I've essentially replaced everything on this motor. I am at the end of my rope and don't know what else to try except take it to the local mechanic, but I want to exhaust every possibility before that.

My thought is to remove the bowls, and adjust the floats a little bit to put more pressure on the needles and try one more time. If that doesn't fix it, it?s beyond me.

Any advice/ideas are very welcome. Thank you.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Johnson 100 hp bogging at high thottle

Possible the engine is not firing on all 4 cyls. That engine will seem to idle just fine on 2 or 3 cyls. When it goes in gear, you need all 4 firing. Weak ignition components tend to show up once the engine heats up to normal operating temps. May run fine when cold, then run terribly when it's fully warmed up. Check the spark after it's fully warmed up. My 72 would crap out when warm. Turned out the sensor failed when it got warmed up.

jbch

Cadet

Spark is good, has brand new CDI pack and coil.

rico suave

Seaman

I have a 1971 85HP which I think is similar, have you cleaned and checked points gap?

Have you done a compression test? Fairly simple and easy to do. Pull a spark plug and go to your local autoparts store and say you need a compression tester. It should be a multi-fit house that works with several size plugs on the tester. Take all your plugs out, disconnect the fuel, put the throttle to wide open and crank the motor over until the gauge stops climbing. Repeat for all cylinders and compare. You want to be within 15% of each other ideally.

jbch

Cadet

I haven't done a compression test lately, but the motor doesn't have 100 hours since it was rebuilt in the 80s. It sat in a covered barn for 17 years until last year when I rolled it out and started working on it. All the electrical is new. New pulse pack, new rectifier, new plugs. Plus, it just runs great except for high speed, and then it ran pretty good, until I had to throttle back down to idle, the other night after it sat for several hours. My main question is 'is there any adjustement for rich mixture/flooding other than the adjustment on the float?' This carb has all fixed jets. I've pulled the plugs, and they are wet with oil etc, but I don't know how much is too wet. The spark does easily just the 3/8 to 7/16 test.