Johnson 85h V4 (Fuel/Oil mixture incorrect or flooded carb?)

ownedcasey

Cadet
I was out on the lake this weekend in my 1980 invader for the first time this summer. I fueled up just before leaving town and mixed in the oil with the new fuel. My boat started up fine and ran great for about half the length of the lake. We stopped to check out some cliff divers and when I restarted the boat the throttle wasn't responding correctly. When I would move the throttle all the way forward I would only get about 40% power. I switched tanks thinking it might be low and the other tank did the same thing. Is this a symptom of running fuel that is too lean or that my carb got flooded? The lake is at 4500ft elevation so I'm not sure if there's and adjustment needed for higher altitudes also. I inherited this boat so I'm still learning the finer arts of it's operation.

Thanks,
Casey

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 85h V4 (Fuel/Oil mixture incorrect or flooded carb?)

Have you checked spark to see if it is firing on all cylinders?
Compression ok?

ownedcasey

Cadet

No, I haven't gotten that far at all. I assumed it had more to do with carb or fuel.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The engine may not be running on all 4 cyls.

ownedcasey

Cadet

Well that sounds great, so far this summer I have replaced the power tilt and trim motor, the rack and pinion steering, steering wheel, trailer lights, battery and now I might have to overhaul the engine...fml.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Might not need to overhaul it, might have a coil or plug defective, need to check it out first.