evinrude spark plug issues

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1997 115hp evinrude intruder L4 motor

I keep having issues with my motor, i keep fouling plugs when i know the gas is mixed correctly. I was running an autolite 4122 which i was told is the stock plug in an autolite. I dont know if i got some bad gas that made my mix richer then normal. But if someone with some experience with this motor could give me a few pointers on what plug to use and maybe what gap to use to stop from getting these foul plug issue i would appreciate it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude spark plug issues

That is a V4 engine right? I would think the correct spark plug would be a Champion QL78YC. Gap is .035. Normally that motor would have an oil injection system. Was yours disconnected?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it is a 60* V-4 the QL78YC is the proper plug.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes i had a none vro fuel pump installed so it is premix now. Haven't had an issue until this last weekend when i was running gas from different places. I think i may try and get a repair book and this winter try and do a good cleanup/tune. Any suggestions on a good repair book? and what things i can clean/check for maybe a stronger spark?

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know i put the correct amount of premix in 50:1 ratio. which is what the repair shop i took it to told me to run. I think the gas i used may of had some water or just a less octane. Any ideas to thin the mix out? or just try and hose the tank and syphon out and start fresh?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The water in the gas will settle out. Siphon out the bottom of the tank and see if you see any. If you mixed the fuel at 50::1 just run it. Heck, even if you mixed it at 25:: just run it. It will kill some mosquitos, but that is all.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I was running an autolite 4122 which i was told is the stock plug in an autolite. I dont know if i got some bad gas that made my mix richer then normal. But if someone with some experience with this motor could give me a few pointers on what plug to use and maybe what gap to use to stop from getting these foul plug issue i would appreciate it.

The Autolite is not only the wrong plug....it is wayyyyy wrong. The closest Autolite is a 4092, but cross-matching is always an iffy business. Champions are the correct ones.
The best advice you have got so far is to switch to the factory recommended one....up to you. :)

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget to pull the thermostats and check to see if one or both are stuck open, this will cause a rich condition at Idle.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

i know some will disagree , i would try a slightly hotter plug , but then you have to adjust the timing accordingly to me it sounds like way to advanced ignition spark & the pre detonation the fuel & oil mix not being compressed enough & ignited properly to burn the oil by moving the ignition spark closer to tdc & fit a slightly hotter plug or just go with the recommended plug but move the ignition spark closer to tdc if you do that you have to move the wot timing to

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

i know some will disagree , i would try a slightly hotter plug , but then you have to adjust the timing accordingly to me it sounds like way to advanced ignition spark & the pre detonation the fuel & oil mix not being compressed enough & ignited properly to burn the oil by moving the ignition spark closer to tdc & fit a slightly hotter plug or just go with the recommended plug but move the ignition spark closer to tdc if you do that you have to move the wot timing to

Why on earth would you start going cross-country with this when the OP tells us in post #1 that he has the wrong plugs installed?? :confused:

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

Why on earth would you start going cross-country with this when the OP tells us in post #1 that he has the wrong plugs installed?? :confused:

its just my logical way of thinking , i know books are written by people & no one is perfect . cheers

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really appreciate all of the responses to my questions. I went and bought different plugs, i have tried running the champion plugs in this motor before and i just hated the way the engine ran with it. So i bought some NGK's. I am going to be buying a repair manual for this engine as soon as i can research what brand book to buy. So i can find the thermostats etc. Thank you again for all the help, and if anyone knows of a good repair book please feel free to share it with me.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

The manual you need is the original factory service manual by Evinrude

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Evinru...tors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr#ht_481wt_1001

There are several aftermarket publishers that make junk books that apply to many years and models and they're trash. Then you'll find people on ebay claiming that for $5 you can download the original factory service manual but they're lying you will just get a bad PDF of an aftermarket manual.

The original factory manuals are great and have Everything you could ever want to know about working on your motor, with pictures.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Which Champion plugs did you try?
NGK are not an exact match nor the recommended plug.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the QL78yc plugs are the ones i had in the motor and ran for a few months and was constantly having rough starts and fouled plugs. so i went to the NGK BPZ8HS-10. thank you for the information on the manual i will look into that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Well, that NGK plug is used on some Mercury Outboards, so he is at lest trying to use marine plugs.....

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat I bought last month (with a 48 SPL) had NGKs in it. I bought the Champions after finding a store with more than one in stock.

One thing I noticed about the NGKs was the ceramic around the center electrode was even with the base of the plug while the Champion extends past the base.

nwcove

Admiral

the QL78yc plugs are the ones i had in the motor and ran for a few months and was constantly having rough starts and fouled plugs. so i went to the NGK BPZ8HS-10. thank you for the information on the manual i will look into that.
if it dont run well with the factory recommended and tested plugs, you have other issues going on. jmo