1989 evinrude 25hp gearcase removal to replace water pump

05fxdxi

Cadet
Hello,
i am new to forum so please excuse me if i make any mistakes. I am the original owner of 1989 evinrude 25 hp. I am trying to replace water pump, (first time) and am following manual and instructions with new water pump. Yesterday, i started to remove gearcase connector, however, top nut (upper gearcase connector) will not slide up towards the crankcase after removal from bottom gearcase connector. It is completely disconnected as far as i can see. I also do not see a plastic keeper. Removed the 4 bolts and 1 nut and tried sliding gearcase down off muffler housing. It was really stubborn at first, however, it slide out/down approximately 1" and will not go any further. I cannot figure out what is keeping upper gearcase connector from sliding up shaft and why gearcase will not separate from muffler housing. I tried sliding gearcase back up toward the housing, however, will not move. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 evinrude 25hp gearcase removal to replace water pump

You'll have to find that "little plastic keeper" and spread it with a small screw driver and take off. Then the rods should slide off.

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just went through this myself a couple days ago on an '85 25hp. Frustrating!

ONce you've separated the silver nut from the shaped brass bolt behind the water pickup screen, push that silver nut that attaches to the brass LU brass bolt up the shift rod. You'll likely need to mess around with the shift lever position to give yourself the right amount of space. I pushed a closed wrench smaller than the nut upwards against the nut but not blocking the shift link and the nut slid up with substantial pressuer. Then, as the others said, open the plastic stopper along the slit perpendicularly with a slotted screwdriver to remove it. Be CAREFUL not to let it pop off and lose it.

05fxdxi

Cadet

Hello and thanks for the responses! I did a little research on the forum sections and noted someone saying to give the cavitation plate a little nug with a rubber mallet. I used a small block of wood and a hammer and managed to move the d-shaft out of the powerhead. Little by little it moved downward till it came out. It has been in place for 23 years and needed a little pursuation. I then disassembled the waterpump housing, then went to work on the upper gearcase brass fitting, using some oil and a flat head screwdriver/hammer, I managed to get it to move up a little. Now, I could see the little cone shaped plastic keeper, I removed it and grabbed the upper gearcase brass connector with a pair of pliers got it to move down and off the gearshaft. All these issues were caused by some corrosion and paint on the gearshaft. I am now to the point where I can work on water pump. After removing the lower gearcase, I noticed a small metal spring in the crud where d-shaft enters the gearcase below waterpump housing. I found out it is a retainer on the rubber part of the upper gearcase seal that had broken some time ago. Do any of you think that it is necessary to replace the upper and lower geacase seals where d-shaft enters gearcase beings I have gearcase separated from engine? This is a little out of my league and experience level. I would have to have a OMC dealer do it for me. Any ideas? It always seems the more you dig, the more worms you find.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If the spring is broken, you should replace the seal. Is it actually broken or just exposed, you will be able to see the spring when you remove the water pump assy.

05fxdxi

Cadet

Hello again and thanks for responding to my thread. When I removed waterpump housing, I began to scrape dirt, oil away from lower gearcase, that is when I found a metal spring in the area of the upper gearcase seal. I did not know what it was at first, because it was broken and did not look like a metal o-ring. I then found out from a OMC dealer it is a retainer ring that fits in a groove on upper gearcase seal. Dealer suggested replacing both upper/lower seals while gearcase is off. It will cost about $70.00 to replace both seals. However. at 23 years old, it might be cheap insurance to go ahead and replace both seals at this time. Again, thanks for the response to my inquiry:redface:.
If the spring is broken, you should replace the seal. Is it actually broken or just exposed, you will be able to see the spring when you remove the water pump assy.