Need help with 1954 25 HP Evinrude Fastwin-newbie

deelind

Recruit
Purchased'56 feather Craft with 1954 25 HP Evinrude Fastwin electric start, figured it was a good beginner boat. Getting ready for (hopefully) first launch into the nearby pond. Had the electric start redone and am awaiting for the owners manual to show up in the mail (ebay purchase). Engine turned over, but I suspect gas tank issues, doesn't seem to pressurize (no ssss after pumping when removing cap) also would love some instruction on installing the electric start if someone could advise or link me. Cleaned the boat well, painted, redid the upholstery and overhauled the steering. I would love to get into the water the next couple of days! Many thanks, ~D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need help with 1954 25 HP Evinrude Fastwin-newbie

Firstly, let's figure out what motor you have, as the Fastwin was a 15hp, and the Big Twin was the 25. Got a model number?

The tank doesn't pressurize with the primer. All the primer does is send fuel into the fuel system & carb. The air to pressurize he tank only comes from the motor once started.

Does the motor have a ring gear flywheel? If not, you'll need one for the starter to have something to grab onto. Manual should have diagrams for wiring, etc. Do you have the electric choke bits?

It's a good idea to go through ANY motor that is new to you, unless it can be shown that it has been recently serviced. Servicing should include carb cleaning & rebuild, ignition inspection (and rebuild if warranted), waterpump impeller (at minimum), hoses, tank inspection, and fresh gear oil. Simply dealing with issues as the crop up leads to days spent being towed rather than putting about...

deelind

Recruit

Firstly, let's figure out what motor you have, as the Fastwin was a 15hp, and the Big Twin was the 25. Got a model number?

The tank doesn't pressurize with the primer. All the primer does is send fuel into the fuel system & carb. The air to pressurize he tank only comes from the motor once started.

Does the motor have a ring gear flywheel? If not, you'll need one for the starter to have something to grab onto. Manual should have diagrams for wiring, etc. Do you have the electric choke bits?

It's a good idea to go through ANY motor that is new to you, unless it can be shown that it has been recently serviced. Servicing should include carb cleaning & rebuild, ignition inspection (and rebuild if warranted), waterpump impeller (at minimum), hoses, tank inspection, and fresh gear oil. Simply dealing with issues as the crop up leads to days spent being towed rather than putting about...

Thanks for you reply. Model number  25916-25917 - waiting on manual, yes on flywheel, every motor is new to me at this point. Extremely clean motor- Seller says it has been serviced and just needs to be 'woken up', said he would help with that (however when?) had been trying to locate some in the area to check it out, but no one has wanted to work on this motor. Thought if I could get the ignition going, I could poke around with it easier (got a bad shoulder) I was just hoping to -plug in & play :) See photo of what I currently have.-2.jpg thx again, much appreciated.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Looks like new stuff in the solenoid box. Nice!

BUT - It won't fit the '54 25hp. You would have to cut it up, and considering yours looks to be a new - EXPENSIVE - replacement, I would keep that one for the next motor, and get the correct one for yours. Your motor doesn't even have a place to put the plug. The '54 had more of a hard-wired system, with the wires being connected directly from the solenoid box to the motor with no plug in between. You could probably make something up with auto store battery cables and wiring. You MUST use a marine starter solenoid. Also, if the starter motor for your outboard is correct, then it will be a 6V starter. They can be used with a 12V battery, but the choke solenoid cannot.

deelind

Recruit

Looks like new stuff in the solenoid box. Nice!

BUT - It won't fit the '54 25hp. You would have to cut it up, and considering yours looks to be a new - EXPENSIVE - replacement, I would keep that one for the next motor, and get the correct one for yours. Your motor doesn't even have a place to put the plug. The '54 had more of a hard-wired system, with the wires being connected directly from the solenoid box to the motor with no plug in between. You could probably make something up with auto store battery cables and wiring. You MUST use a marine starter solenoid. Also, if the starter motor for your outboard is correct, then it will be a 6V starter. They can be used with a 12V battery, but the choke solenoid cannot.

Buggers! No wonder I couldn't find where it would plug in, paid $200 bucks to have it done over (of which was a mistake, guy was suppose to just look at it) Here's what the engine looks like. (thanks for taking this on)

Attachments

• aaaaa.jpg
    aaaaa.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
  • evinrude.jpg
    evinrude.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Certainly looks like the 6V system. Best to get a 6V battery...

You can get the proper wiring harness here: http://www.nymarine.ca/wiringharness.htm, part number 277326, and if you click the part number you get a wiring diagram that covers what else you'll need to complete it.

deelind

Recruit

yikes, $175 for just some wires ay? It becomes a dilemma- A not yet running motor, but nice ignition. Or do I find a nice running motor to go with the ignition I have. Hopefully seller will help resolve the issue. Dunno... if dealing with an antique motor is for me, Hubs here is not handy in the least. Perhaps I just get a new motor before I get halfway there in $$$ trying to get this one running. What would that purchase of a mid-grade reliable motor be? Many thanks ~D