1978 115 johnson charging issue

I have a question about my motor with the charging system. My motor seems to charge just fine during the day, but at night when i run the lights it doesn't charge as well. It does charge some but not as strong. What do you think the problem might be. Oh yeah, and when your running even in the day, the tach will drop off after about 10 min of wot.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 115 johnson charging issue

Weak ignition components tend to fail once the engine heats up to normal operating temps. Sounds like your rectifier is going bad. Tach issues are a sign that the rectifier is not functioning properly. Since the rectifier outputs the tach signal, as well as provides the charging control-it makes sense that you see some charging issues along with the tach problems.

Re: 1978 115 johnson charging issue

Weak ignition components tend to fail once the engine heats up to normal operating temps. Sounds like your rectifier is going bad. Tach issues are a sign that the rectifier is not functioning properly. Since the rectifier outputs the tach signal, as well as provides the charging control-it makes sense that you see some charging issues along with the tach problems.

ok. that's is what i thought, but just wanted to make sure before i bought one.