Timing base shake movement, 1956 Evinrude 15HP

Kevin60181

Seaman Apprentice
Just completed a complete tune up on a 1956 Evinrude 15HP model # 15016 Outboard engine. It's running fine. I just don't like the up and down movement on the stator / timing base as shown in this video.
If you know, please reply along with a fix if needed.
Thank You!
I posted a video on Youtube of this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhSQvnHa2Kw&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• s_0740.jpg
    s_0740.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Timing base shake movement, 1956 Evinrude 15HP

its a relatively easy fix. do a search of the joe reeves method for a wobbly stator base. ( but be gentle! i thought i was being gentle with my 1957 5.5 doing the fix, but had to un-do some of what i did....worked great and was quite easy)

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Were the coils replaced? If so the mounting screws may not be lined up correctly.
BTW, that motor has neither a stator nor a timing base. The thing shaking is the armature plate assembly.

nwcove

Admiral

Were the coils replaced? If so the mounting screws may not be lined up correctly.
BTW, that motor has neither a stator nor a timing base. The thing shaking is the armature plate assembly.

lol, pardon my terminology!! from now on i will refer to it as the " wobbly part", or the "thingy that moves" when you twist the tiller grip? .....is "tiller grip" the right word for the plastic thingy you turn to go faster?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The wobble does not seem to be affecting your ignition surprisingly enough. Runs well!

What is likely wrong is a worn/damaged support ring, which is beneath the armature plate. Remove the plate, and you will see it, it is held on by 4 screws. Joes advice is to make indentations every 90 degrees, at about the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o clock positions with a screwdriver and hammer. I have personally never tried this, as I usually have a parts motor, but can see how it would help. Let us know how you do.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Here is a pic of the modification mentioned. Just be careful, do not overdo it and make it too tight. Also ensure that the coils are not hitting the flywheel magnets.

SupportRingFix.jpg

nwcove

Admiral

The wobble does not seem to be affecting your ignition surprisingly enough. Runs well!

What is likely wrong is a worn/damaged support ring, which is beneath the armature plate. Remove the plate, and you will see it, it is held on by 4 screws. Joes advice is to make indentations every 90 degrees, at about the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o clock positions with a screwdriver and hammer. I have personally never tried this, as I usually have a parts motor, but can see how it would help. Let us know how you do.

it does work, just be gentle as the brass ring is quite soft and doesnt need much of a tap to tighten things up. the procedure is well described by mr reeves.

Kevin60181

Seaman Apprentice

Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down! LOL
I got your back 100% on this Armature Plate. Different posts & people call it different names. I know stator wasn't even close, cause they are wire windings. Armature??? May be.
I personally like Timing Plate, because it has the main timing marks on it.
or we could call it the points, coil and condenser dish. Seeing it’s plate like in shape & size and the dish is full of the above.
Being an election year, lets vote on this!

OK back to business.......
Yes! The coils where replaced. Twice, I pulled the big heavy thing located under the rope pull off the engine and moved the coils back thinking that the Flywheel was hitting hitting the coils now & then, during the up & down movement and making a loud clunk noise. (Noted on another post I placed - problem there was a lean sneeze) So the coils are as far back as they can be from the magnets. I will re-a-just the coils after I attempt the fix on the brass support ring.
I did remove that brass support ring so I could do a good cleaning before the tune-up. What a mess down there. Loaded with dirt, rust, oil and gunk. I gave it a light coat of grease along with the ring under it that the timing base screws into.
By the way, I use caliper grease that’s for brakes. It with stands high heat, resists water & dust, and has graphite in it. ONLY on external engine parts!!! If it rubs, slides, rotates or moves, I grease it after a good cleaning.

I did a search for joe's post with no luck.
I did find this post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=186387&highlight=support+ring
He noted that the aluminum retaining ring goes flat side up. Ahhh!
I do believe mine was tapperd side was facing up. That could be the problem!!!

Here's another post on Wobbly armature plate :
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=390549&highlight=support+ring

Here's one Armature plate wiggle:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=90303&highlight=support+ring

Here's flywheel rubbing on timing plate:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=172758&highlight=support+ring

It’s 10:45PM and I have to be up at 4:30 am…. Sleepy eyes need to be fresh for the jail.
I hope to get at this after work on Monday. Busy the next 2 days.

Thank you again for all your help!