1982 Johnson 9.9 steering bracket issues

jbruegge

Recruit
I have a 1982 J10 RLCNS that has developed some play in the steering bracket. I am guessing due to hitting so many things in the shallow rivers I run.

I tightened the lower mounting bracket screw (green circle) and this helped stabilize the bottom end of the motor. Is there supposed to be a second screw for this bracket (red circle)? The diagram doesn't seem to show one, but then why would there be 2 holes??

IMG_2061.jpg

The worst slop is where the steering bracket enters the midsection. I could not find a way to tighten this up.

Starboard view:

IMG_2062.jpg

Port View:

IMG_2063.jpg

Also, if I press (lightly) on the steering handle, the steering bracket will move independently of the motor. In these next photos, you can see the lateral play in relationship to the lower motor cover, where it will form a gap if pressed down.

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

In addition to that lateral play, there is a similar amount of horizontal play.

Now for the big question- Is there something I can tighten to clean up the slop in my motor? Is there a hidden broken part that would cause this (maybe concealed within the midsection)? Let me know your thoughts on this, thanks!

I posted this on another forum last night and was told that the solution would be replacing my "rubber vibration isolation motor mounts". I tried searching the J/E parts list for my motor and checking the exploded view diagrams and I'm not entirely sure which part this is that I need. I also understand that to reach this I will need to remove the powerhead? Is this an overly complicated process for someone who doesn't know a whole lot about outboards in particular, but is fairly mechanically inclined, or do I need specialized equipment to do this?

jbruegge

Recruit
Re: 1982 Johnson 9.9 steering bracket issues

Thanks! This will be a fall project for me rather than an immediate fix, but I will do my best to document the process with photos and post them.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, defenitly time for new upper and lower rubber mounts along with the missing bolt as you have stated. Not realy a hard job with the OME manual, but will take some time if one has never done it before.
Oldman570

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should read up on this on "LeeRoy's Ramblings"- a wealth of information about these
engines.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/#12_OB

He explains the teardown and replacement of these mounts. He also shows a
cheap repair to the "5" parts, which can cost $60-80 each. For the details of that, look
at the article on Powerhead/Midsection repairs, about 2/3 of the way through the article.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

tilt pin is missing and thats why is hanging down to much