1973 18hp evinrude choke spring, choke wont engage

gulfcoastsurf

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1973 18hp and when you pull the choke lever it will not engage the choke. I thinking that the springs could possible be out of the right alignment. I have look at the diagram on the evinrude website already, but that doesnt show the correct way to connect all the springs. Thanks Gulf Coast Surf

gulfcoastsurf

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1973 18hp evinrude choke spring, choke wont engage

I look at the springs today and think they are worn. Does anyone have a picture of the correct way to hook the springs up on the choke.

Thanks Gulf Coast Suf

gulfcoastsurf

Seaman Apprentice

Pictures of the springs, dont know if they need to be replaced or if they need to be replace in a certain way.

imagerois.jpg

imageqlw.jpg

imagewgw.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The spring with the loop in it should be replaced and installed correctly. It's hard to explain here but when you pull your choke knob the other end of the spring actually closes the choke.

AlTn

Commander

if the choke shaft has much wear in it, it can start to bind and won't allow the choke plate to move easily which adds to the non accuating problems...I've tried penetrating oils, etc. to the points where the shaft goes through the carb body with limited success