Replacing reed valves, 1988 70 HP Johnson

Any pointers on how to replace reed valves in 1988 70 hp johnson. I have the evinrude/johnson model service manuel, any additional tips would be helpful.

Re: Replacing reed valves, 1988 70 HP Johnson

Ought to be pretty straightforward. Why are you replacing them anyway?

When I was trying to get my engine to run right I found that the stock reeds were bowed pretty bad so replaced them with fiberglass reeds from Chris Carson Marine. One thing Chris told me to be sure to do was not to overtighten the screws holding the reeds in place (lest you make them bow up) and to use a drop of loctite on each of those little screws.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

i reface the reed valve block too. grinding past & glass the photo with the white flower is before & yellow flower after refaceing

you can flush your motor fair enough but the salt air gets in every where , see how it got to this reed valve face & what it does , corrodes

Attachments

• Photo0310.jpg
    Photo0310.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Photo0370.jpg
    Photo0370.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Photo0371.jpg
    Photo0371.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 2

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, the Chris Carson reeds are even easier to install. They are a little transparent and you don't need to do the try-and-error alignment with the pencil.
My 1989 manual recommends NOT to lap the block surface. A too smooth surface may leave a reed stuck closed after winter storage.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

deleted

Last edited:

durban

Yes, the Chris Carson reeds are even easier to install. They are a little transparent and you don't need to do the try-and-error alignment with the pencil.
My 1989 manual recommends NOT to lap the block surface. A too smooth surface may leave a reed stuck closed after winter storage.

in my case wot do you do lap or spend your money & BUY new ones . where as i could spend that money on my kids . cheers

I am having trouble with idle speed, both in gear and just at idle. The FUEL SYSTEM TROUBLE CHECK CHART in the SERVICE MANUAL has intake or leaf plate listed as possible causes. I have done every thing else. I called Chris Carson and ordered a set of SPORT reeds, figured if I was gonna go to all that trouble I would put in some good reeds. Recently purchased rebuilt motor, still working out the kinks.

I called Chris Carson and ordered a set of SPORT reeds, figured if I was gonna go to all that trouble I would put in some good reeds.

Good choice. Are you going to have to remove the rubber from your reed blocks and surface them? I went through all that, not too big of a deal, just a little time consuming to get them perfect.

I suspect the manual is talking about steel reeds, not fiberglass. In any case I'd follow Chris' instructions, he's spent a ton of time learning what works and what doesn't work.

Recently purchased rebuilt motor, still working out the kinks.

Geeze I hope you didn't get it from the same guy that I got my "rebuilt" junker from. What gets me is all these supposedly "rebuilt" engines that need so much work to run right. In my mind calling them "rebuilt" is an out and out lie - throwing a new piston in one cylinder isn't a rebuild, it's a repair.

Wow, Thats what I thought also, but I expected some stuff. The fuel lines were beyond rotten, rebuilt the primer, but not to bad overall but a leak in the intake would not surprise me.

durban

i tell you m8t after i used course grinding paste & refaced them the idle & response on acceleration was tremendous & if i get some money i gonna buy a set of Chris ,s reeds it would go even better , cheers