Evinrude Zephyr - Pls help H20 pump & gear lube?

P51D

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a model 4404 Zephyr with a serial number that indicates it was built between 1946 ? 1948. Jointed tiller. It was in an old barn, not frozen up, and seems to be in decent shape, but dirty and dusty. I cleaned out the tank and fuel line down to the carb, pulled the drain plug/filter at the bottom of carb. Not the cleanest, but it could have been worse.

Before I try to start it up, I have a few questions:

1. Does this have a metal or rubber impeller for the water pump?

2. Where is the water intake?

3. What kind of gear lube should I use? There is a screw on the L/U marked ?GREASE?. I pulled the screw and drained the L/U, and the only thing that drained out was a couple of ounces of water. So I?m sure some seals are in my future. I had some modern L/U gear oil handy and filled her up with that, with the intent to at least use it as a flush. I?ve had it upright on an engine stand for 24 hours and no seeping, so I?m keeping my fingers crossed. But what lube should I use? Did they literally use grease? There is no Zirk fitting for a grease gun.

4. How do I adjust the Low and High carb screws for start-up and running?

Any other tips appreciated.

THANKS

P51D

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude Zephyr - Pls help H20 pump & gear lube?

go to the top secret files, " Bringing an old motor to life," thats the place to start," other threads on the top secret files will apply.

P51D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Kodibass. The FAQs answered question 4. Still looking for help with questions 1-3. Searching the forums with many different keywords did not find me an answer. Any help appreciated from anyone.

THANKS
P51D

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

go www.aomci.org antique outboard motor club look around I think you can ask questions about repair procedures lube and such without joining with that old timer a membership won't hurt but "DON"T" ask the value.
Don't know about the year but I believe there are reprints of factory manuals right here at iboats.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Been a while since I ve worked on one of my 4404s, but believe yours will have a wobble style rotor pump, located behind the prop. They take grease in the gearcase, you can use John Deere corn head grease, or lubriplate 105.

The throttle valve carb is a little different from what you may be used to, when you get to it let us know for some tips.

P51D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the tips, guys. I welcome any more. Looks like this will be another "interesting learning experience", but that's what it's all about, right?

This is actually an intriguing little engine.

P51D

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Written by Garry over at AOMCI.org

45_Zephyr.jpg

P51D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks again, all. Interesting about the water pump. P1D

jonesdp

Recruit

I just bought a model 4404 Zephyr with a serial number that indicates it was built between 1946 ? 1948. Jointed tiller. It was in an old barn, not frozen up, and seems to be in decent shape, but dirty and dusty. I cleaned out the tank and fuel line down to the carb, pulled the drain plug/filter at the bottom of carb. Not the cleanest, but it could have been worse.

Before I try to start it up, I have a few questions:

1. Does this have a metal or rubber impeller for the water pump?

2. Where is the water intake?

3. What kind of gear lube should I use? There is a screw on the L/U marked ?GREASE?. I pulled the screw and drained the L/U, and the only thing that drained out was a couple of ounces of water. So I?m sure some seals are in my future. I had some modern L/U gear oil handy and filled her up with that, with the intent to at least use it as a flush. I?ve had it upright on an engine stand for 24 hours and no seeping, so I?m keeping my fingers crossed. But what lube should I use? Did they literally use grease? There is no Zirk fitting for a grease gun.

4. How do I adjust the Low and High carb screws for start-up and running?

Any other tips appreciated.

THANKS

P51D

1. The Zephyr uses a metal 2-stage water pump. No lubrication is needed.

2. Depends... Pre-war models had a series of slits on the leading edge of the gearcase. After the war the design was changed to have the pickup on the front edge of the exhaust outlet. Some models built have inlets in both locations! (Since these respective inlets were in different castings for the gearcase, they sometimes were mixed together). The models with the inlets on the leading edge of the case usually don't pump well in a test barrel.

3. The LU uses Lubriplate 105 Grease. Squeeze the grease in through the hole labeled "Grease" until it comes out of the smaller hole (plugged with a small flat-head screw) on the other side of the case. The seals in the gearfoot were cork, as they were intended to work with grease. They are probably OK, unless the prop shaft is worn badly. If you can grab the prop shaft and wiggle it around, the bushings are shot.

4. The high and low speed circuits are unified in the carb, meaning at full throttle, both the high and low speed circuits are feeding the engine. Start with the needles at about 1 turn for both. When you get the motor started, adjust the high speed mixture until the engine runs best. Then throttle down the motor and adjust the low speed. Go slowly as it sometimes takes the motor a few seconds to respond to adjustments. Once you have the low speed set, open the throttle and then re-adjust the high speed.

Make sure the points are polished and clean, or else it will be a bugger to start. Also strive to get the point gaps the same so the motor will run smoothly. When everything is set up properly, they are sweet running little engines. Good luck!