evinrude 9.5hp 1973 shifting

narrowfarm

Seaman Apprentice
Hello i have a 1973 evinrude and it doesnt shift into forward but neutral and reverse work fine.When i shift it into reverse,there is a poitive feel and you know it went into reverse! When i move the shift lever down to the forward position, there is no distinctive feel that it went into gear..."What does it normally feel like when you shift gears?? " I just got the engine. I took apart the lower unit and gears.Nothing looks broken . thanks john

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 9.5hp 1973 shifting

It should snap into all three positions. Perhaps the interlock is out of adjustment at the top. Or perhaps the rubber motor mounts are broken.

EDIT: You ARE running the motor or at least twirling the prop when shifting---aren't you?

RiverRock

Cadet

Sounds like a simular issue I recently had. I have a 73 Johnson 9.5 Only difference is mine would not go into reverse. Naturally I figured the worst... Turns out it was a screw that had vibrated loose and was blocking the shift lever from going into reverse. It was a quick fix with a few turns of a screw driver...
If you haven't already inspected under the hood at the shift lever area, operate the throttle and shift lever in conjunction (engine off) and pay close attention to see if there is anything blocking the shift lever from going into forward position, it just might be a loose screw. The screw that was blocking my reverse is located on the throttle arm where it would meet the shift lever (sorry don't know the exact part names) but hopefully it's just as simple of a fix as it was for me.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are you trying to shift without the engine running? If so that is common as the shifter dogs may not be aligned when the motor is stationary. Pull the starter rope as you ty to shift.