1989 Evinrude 110 VRO stalling problem when shifting

bigpargs2

Recruit
Hey there i am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone had any advice on a problem i am having. i have a 1989 or some were in there 110 VRO outboard that i am having a problem keeping running. when the boat is out of water (i took it to a marina) with a boot on the motor it starts right up and runs like a champ but it seems once you put it in the water that it has a hard time starting and staying running. it will fire up and idle with the throttle turned up a little but as soon as i lower the throttle and try to put it in forward or reserve it stalls out and this can go on for as long as 45 mins. i use 2cycle gas i don't use the VRO system. the guy at the marina said that the compression in one maybe two of the cylinders is low i think they are 90,100,105,110 .so far this is what i have done to try and solve the problem: new plugs, fuel filter, new fuel treated with sea-foam, new plugs, new primer bulb, new starter. once its in gear and doesn't stall if you gas it too hard it will stall out but if you push the choke in and ease into the throttle it will take off and run great until you shut it off and go to fire it back up again, then it starts all over. i am running out of ideas and need some help i want to take it up to lake Ontario and don't want to get stranded. and slamming it into gear will eventually break something. thanks for all your help and ideas/solutions will be a great help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Evinrude 110 VRO stalling problem when shifting

Possible you need to rebuild the carbs. When that engine idles, the carb butterflys are closed. At this point, the fuel being used flows through special small, dedicated idle passages. These can plug up with dried fuel over the years and cause idling issues. Once you crack the throttle even slightly, the carbs can draw fuel from other jets and usually it will run better. Best to get a can of some carb cleaner (like a Gumout-type product) and really clean the passages. That means complete disassembly. It's not uncommon for an engine to idle well on the trailer. That engine will sound great, running on 2 or 3 cyls. It's another thing when you bury the exhaust underwater 24". You need all 4 cyls contributing to keep it going. Make sure you have spark on all 4 cyls when the engine is warmed up.

maxicatch

Cadet
Re: 1989 Evinrude 110 VRO stalling problem when shifting

hi mate,had exactly the same issue on an old 140hp
idle all day drop into gear and she died every time.
i yanked the carbs soaked them in carb cleaner over night and installed new car kits.
put it all make together and ran like a boss for the next 2 years until i sold it.
the carbs looked clean when i pulled the down but after soaking there was heaps of junk in the carb solution.
also be sure to blow out all orifices with a air gun.