Replace 1995 evinrude 88spl with 1979 evenrude 85 hp.

texasranger225

Recruit
i have done the replacement of the engines. the 88 spl has bad compression and the 85 hp works great. now here is the problem i see so far. 1st. I am using the linkage cable from the 88 on the 85. they seem to fit too snug and had to
bend the transmission linkage some just to make it fit...now it seems too tight

2nd. the Tilt and trim. the 88 spl has several wires coming from the console. which wires do I use
to connect to the wiring from the 85 hp trim and tilt
. it seems there is one cable with 3
wires that goes to a small box with a sylinoid and from there two thicker wires that go to the
battery.

can anyone let me know if the linkage bending is ok and is that why the forward & rev is stiff? and also about the wiring to the tilt and trim?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replace 1995 evinrude 88spl with 1979 evenrude 85 hp.

You may have some apples vs oranges in both your problem scenarios. The linkages are sinificantly different between the two years. You really need to keep the linkages separate. You should use the 79 carbs on the 85 and the 79 linkages that go with it. All the79 linkages should work fine with the existing 88 throttle cable. The engines have different trim systems and they are not compatible with each other. The 88 model uses a 2-wire trim motor system with a box mounted on the back of the block. The 79 system is a 3-wire motor system that uses a remote trim box which mounts under the rear splashwell of the boat.

texasranger225

Recruit
Re: Replace 1995 evinrude 88spl with 1979 evenrude 85 hp.

ok.....I figured out by looking at the wiring charts that on the 1995 88spl there is one cable that comes from the console that has 5 wires inside. 3 of those wires are for the Tilt and Trim (TnT). on the 1979 85 hp there are 2 cables that go to the battery and 1 cable with 5 wires going to a box with terminals and a silinoid. from this box comes out a cable with 3 wires, red, green and blue that go to the control on the console of the old boat that I took the 1979 motor from. I took the cable with 5 wires that comes from my console, which includes a red, blue and a green wire and replaced the red, blue, and green wires in the box with the silinoid tied down the + Positive and - negative to the battery....and walaaaaaaaaa.....the button on my control works the TnT......I hope that wasnt too confusing.....

now I just need to work on the linkages.....when I go to forward it is too tight....and reverse is easy....I guess i have some adjusting to figure out......

thanks for the info.........