Evinrude 1973 9.5hp sportwin shifting

narrowfarm

Seaman Apprentice
Hello i bought an evinrude 1973 9.5hp that was all apart.
I put the engine together and lower unit back on,cleaned the carb ,cleaned the points and the engine now runs great!!I am getting a new head gasket,water pump and thermostat for the ebgine.
My issuse is how to set the shifting. It now will shift from neutral to reverse but not neutal to forward.The engine is in neutral at the Forward position and when i push up alittle bit to Reverse,the lever than is in the neutral position and the engine goes into reverse! It just seems that the linkage needs adjusting so i can get the Lever to move to the proper position.Any help here?? thanks john

Rick.

Captain
Re: Evinrude 1973 9.5hp sportwin shifting

Just sold my 73 this weekend. The shift lever can be adjusted rather easily to line up with the marks. Under the cowl, just look at where the shift lever pivots and there is adjustment right there for what you need to accomplish. Best of luck. Rick.

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 1973 9.5hp sportwin shifting

Everything is set. I can only think that something is worn out or broken. Let's consider all the components. You have your lower shift rod that shifts the clutch dog into forward, neutral, and reverse. This cannot be adjusted. From there is the shift rod connector (brass piece with two bolts). Can easily have a stripped bolt causing it to not shift properly. From there, upper shift rod that cannot be adjusted that connects to the shift shaft. Shift shaft is usually cause of improper shifting in the 9.5 models. Has a tendency to break also. It is a small bracket with a bolt that can be pulled out of it. Located in the lower cowl along the shift lever. Just to determine this isn't a gear case problem, when in forward, the shift lever should be in a downward position. In neutral, level position. In reverse, upward position. Is that how yours is?