1958 Evinrude how much water to test?

Dr_Gonzo

Cadet
Hi all,

Great forum here, I've been lurking for a couple weeks. I just picked up my first boat, and am trying to get the engine going. It had sat for a couple years, so I got fresh gas mixed and have it in a bucket of water. I got it going, but didn't see any water coming out. I got freaked out and shut it down. I think I have enough water, maybe this motor isn't a pisser? I don't know, didn't want to burn it up. It's a 18hp Fastwin.

What do you guys think? Is this enough water?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37127387@N06/7712345270/

Thanks

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1958 Evinrude how much water to test?

I run mine higher, like up to the next horizontal plate.
Water will spray out of the relief valve halfway up the leg.

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah you need it a few inches deeper. I try to start with the water about and inch or two below the exhaust port, bearing in mind that a fair bit is going to spill over once the motor is up and running as you cycle through the gears (at idle only!). If the motor has been sitting for along time, the impeller (waterpump) may be toast, so if it doesn't pump water within 10-20 sec shut it down. Here are some great links to help you keep it running right for another 50 years. You can get any routine parts you may need right here at iboats.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2922/ITEM_292200001.htm

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_E-FD_15_18hp.html

Dr_Gonzo

Cadet

So I should see water out the exhaust port? I haven't had much time today to mess with it. And it should pump now matter what gear correct? I didn't see anything in neutral, I put it in drive just for a few moments before I shut it down. Sounds like I may have an impeller problem then, I will raise the water level and try again tomorrow. I was hoping to take it out tomorrow but that may not happen. Is it hard to get at the impeller? The guy I bought the boat from also threw in a 59 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin. Maybe I can scavenge a part.

Thanks guys

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most will say "change your pump/impeller" anyway, just so you know. I'm not sure about your motor but my '73 25hp Johnson pumps water out of a ~3/8 hole ON THE FRONT side of the leg just below the transom clamp. See if your motor has that hole, then fire it up.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You need the water level the same as if the boat was sitting in the water at idle. You need a bigger tub.

kfa4303

Banned

Dr_Gonzo

Cadet

Well I got a bigger bucket today and I've got water coming out. I'm pretty happy it's working right. Odd thing is it was only maybe 5 inches more water. The inlet is below the prop, so I'm not sure why it made a difference but it did. I got the boat so late in the year I'm glad it doesn't need major repair. Thanks for the help fellas.

kfa4303

Banned

Glad it's working Dr. There are a couple reasons it works now. For starters, these old water pumps aren't self priming, so the small, intake openings above the anti-vent plate have to be submerged to work. It's also why you can't use muffs on these old motors. You're right about the water uptake in front of the prop, however it only works at speed when the prop and/or forward motion of the boat forces water through the screened opening and into the cooling system, but when you slow back down, or idle the intakes above teh anti0vent plate take over again. Happy boating!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The pump can't really prime itself, so it has to have water over the level of the pump body to work.

RSchendel

Seaman

Be careful. If the impeller was run dry or nearly dry, some of the rubber spokes may have broken off internally. The pump may only work for a short time or at less than full capacity. Do not try to use the impeller parts from the '59 as they are likely old an brittle. I changed the impeller in my '58. It was not too hard.

Dr_Gonzo

Cadet

Be careful. If the impeller was run dry or nearly dry, some of the rubber spokes may have broken off internally. The pump may only work for a short time or at less than full capacity. Do not try to use the impeller parts from the '59 as they are likely old an brittle. I changed the impeller in my '58. It was not too hard.

Yes, good advice. Here in Colorado I maybe have 6 weeks or so left to boat. I'm going to keep an eye on the water output, hopefully I don't have any trouble. Over the winter I will do a new impeller and a few other things to have it hummin for next year. So are parts readily available for this old motor? If so, I have no need for the '59. The guy I got it from had taken the throttle handle and pull rope off and put them on the '58. Other than that it looks complete. Is it worth me keeping? If not, I guess I will sell it. How much is it worth? I have no clue.

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again Dr. There are still tons of parts available for these old gems and most parts form other E/FD models of similar vintage are interchangeable. However, your motor is the last year of the 2-line fuel set up. They switched to fuel pumps in '59, I believe, but you can convert your motor to a fuel pump, if you want to. You can also get any routine parts like carb kits, tune up kits, reseal kits, coils, etc....right here at iboats for about $20 each. I would suggest you change the impeller too. It's an easy DIY job you should do every season and a new impeller is only about $12. It would be a shame for that old girl to overheat now that you've got it her running again. be sure you're running at least 24:1 mix too. That's 5.5 fl. oz. of TCW-3 marine outboard, 2-stroke oil to 1 US gallon of 87 octane gasoline. Here are some more handy links for parts and stuff. The previous links can walk your through a waterpump (impeller) change.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/377515/37751500001.htm

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Outbo...7049250--session_id.769057100--view_id.271265

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...=18&gd_search_14107=1958&session_id=769057100

Dr_Gonzo

Cadet

Cool, thanks kfa. Looks like there's plenty of parts out there, I guess I'll sell the other motor. I was debating if it's worth taking up the space in my garage or not.

kfa4303

Banned

marineengine.com, aomci.org, ebay.com, nymarine.com and twincityoutboards.com are also great sources for larger parts. There is a reason these old motors are still running 50+ years later. They're pretty bulletproof once you learn the basics and they're great conversation pieces at the dock. Very powerful for their weight too. A modern 18-20 hp 4-stroke would way around 115-140 lbs., but these old E/FD models are only about 80 lbs. and you can literally fix anything on them with a flathead screwdriver and a couple wrenches. Try doing that with a modern motor. Old school is the only school ;)