28 Hp Johnson

Daver951

Recruit
I recently purchased a boat, motor and trailer. It is a 1970 S' sail wind, 14ft, fiberglass with a 28 Hp Johnson. The numbers on the motor are RXE-10C and serial # is 345432. Looked online and cant find the model number anywhere. I have no information about this motor at all. Here's the thing -- It starts and runs OK, but needs to have the choke about 90% on to keep running, and will stall if you throttle back to far. (carb kit)? Had it out today and it seems to putt around but is pretty slow. I understand that this boat is not a rocket, but was expecting more. What can you expect for $350. Any help is appreciated.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 28 Hp Johnson

Could it possiably be a RXL-10, which is a 1962.
By your description, it does sound like you need to overhaul the carb. You might want to also check the spark and compression to see what the basic health of your engine is.

Daver951

Recruit

Thanks for the quick response, It could be RXL but it sure does look like RXE. I will check the compression tomorrow, I had the plugs out and they looked alright but I will replace them too.

Thanks,
Dave

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Somewhere in the 1962-1964 range.
RX-10 1962
RX-11 1963
RXE-11 1963
RX-12 1964
RXE-12 1964

As pointed out, check the compression first, then the spark, then look at the carb.
Honestly, with these old twins I just replace all of the common items from top to bottom if I don't know the condition of the parts.
It takes an easy weekend to replace everything, but at least you have a good baseline to deal with in the future and something isn't breaking every week. Costs a couple of hundred, but you have a good chance of getting a trouble-free motor.
Ignition (Coils, points, condensers, wires, boots and plugs)
Carb (rebuild kit including float, replace all fuel lines. Maybe rebuild or replace fuel pump)
Lower unit (change oil, put new washers on fill and vent screws. Check after running and reseal if leaking.)