2003 Johnson 115hp (Running Bad just off idle) PIC INSIDE

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK this is a 03 Johnson J115PLSTS 2 stroke. Carb Motor.

The issue is the motor starts up fine , once i give it a lil gas it bucks and shakes.
It clears up once it breaks plane and runs great. I had 3 miles of no wake and it was horrible.
BUT on the way home it seemed a lil better WEIRD!!

The boat had fresh fuel (i drained the old from the summer) new primer bulb and water seperator.
So im thinking the carbs need cleaning!

I got home and took a look at the motor to inspect how hard it will be to clean the carbs myself and i found this lil rubber tube piece on the throttle linkage that is pushed by the timing advance.

Here is a pic of what i found wrong. Im wondering if when the bad side is being pushed if this could cause any issues ...
That might explain why it ran decent on the way home , if the good side was being used, then turned to the bad side after letting off ....

I dont have a clue ,that is why im here. I would love to hear from someone who knows this parts function ....

Thanks

carbpart.jpg

daselbee

Commander
Re: 2003 Johnson 115hp (Running Bad just off idle) PIC INSIDE

The top half of it is fully round...so that would not be the cause. You should eventually replace it, as the top half will no doubt break off soon.
They are cheap...about 8 bucks.

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went to the local johnson dealer after writing this thread and bought one.
I plan on putting it on tomorrow and taking the boat out sunday!!

The weird thing is it ran like **** the whole way out , then on the ride back it felt great til i moved the throttle forward when i cleared the no wake zone.

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

YOU ARE INCORRECT DASELBEE the cam only touch's the lower area!
This is my problem im pretty sure.... Its already replaced now hoping for some nice FL weather so i can test it ...

Its been miserable all day outside

daselbee

Commander

Well!!!! Ok then. Flip it over!!!!
From your pic...both shafts look like they should be parallel!!!!

Happy boating. I hope it cost you 9 bucks. :d

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LoL thats what i should have done to test it but i had a day off and it was pouring out today so there was no dunking the boat .....

Either way i appreciate the quick responses.
I will be so freaking happy if thats all the is wrong....

I have never had something so minor go wrong on a boat its always something expensive or a lot of labor...