59 Johnson 18HP Solenoid Replacement?

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just recieved a new solenoind ( from Iboat) for my motor size wise the part looks similar. The bracket that held the old solenoid to the engine block does not look like it will hold the new part? The new part has a bracket already attached to the solenoid. I do not think it will mount into the same location as the old one?
My question is can it be moved to a different location as far as mounting it to the motor? The part number of the replacement is Sierra 18-5807. Package says it replaces OMC 378444 Prestolite SAW4206. If I could remove the bracket on the new solenoid it may fit into the exsisting holding bracket. Any help here would be great.

lindy46

Captain
Re: 59 Johnson 18HP Solenoid Replacement?

Sure, mount it wherever it will fit. Or remove the bracket, if possible and use the old bracket.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is the correct solenoid for a 1959. You probably have an add-on starter kit from a newer motor that used different parts. It will work, if you can get it in there.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys will be working on this Sat. taking Ipod to photo pics when complete.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is the correct solenoid for a 1959. You probably have an add-on starter kit from a newer motor that used different parts. It will work, if you can get it in there.
I will get it in there One way or another.
I am pulling the motor off the boat for some other work this weekend. The solenoid repair will come first. Taking the key switch out with the motor. Do I need to have the key switch grounded to something for it to work correctly while motor is off the boat? Will it work not being mounted to anything. just hanging in the wind?

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the correct solenoid installed today and it worked fine. My trip back the the NAPA store my not be a pretty scene when I get done talking with the guy that talked me into the first solenoid I tried to install. All is good with this electric issue. I now have another problem (only running on one cylinder)