What is best service manual to buy for 96 Evinrude Looper 115hp?

Ppopps

Seaman
I have an aging but loyal old 115hp Evinrude workhorse that has served me well for years and I want to be able to keep up with anything she needs. Still on the original water pump (telltale is strong so why mess with it?), original gears, original carb kit, all I've ever done is change the gear oil....original plugs even and she runs like a champ.

I think I might be feeling some subtle hints at a clutch dog getting tired but other than an inconsistent thud 3 seconds after shifting she has never slipped out of gear and certainly never complains at full throttle or heavy loading with skiers.

What is the best detailed shop manual to buy that will allow me to tackle as much as I'm willing with this motor as it continues to age gracefully? I'd love something like the Haynes series for cars with pictures and step by step instructions and not merely a table of torque settings as I'm unfamiliar with most of what I'm looking at but otherwise technically inclined....is there such a publication?

-Ppopps

Re: What is best service manual to buy for 96 Evinrude Looper 115hp?

Absolutely get the genuine OMC manuals, not the aftermarket/generic ones. You can also often find them on ebay.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Change the impeller. Looking at the telltale is not a reliable way to judge the pressure of the cooling system.

Ppopps

Seaman

Change the impeller. Looking at the telltale is not a reliable way to judge the pressure of the cooling system.

Thanks for the info guys, will get the OMC one. One more question on impeller change intervals, you change them blindly every XX years or hours of service even if there's no sign of trouble? From my limited understanding this means the whole LU has to come off and you jeopardize the linkage adjustment which is tricky to get right on reassembly or am I making it sound worse than it is?

What would keep you happy to leave an old impeller well enough alone, warm but not scalding water from the telltale after a good run? Some sort of water pressure test I'm unaware of? Nothing at all, gotta rip off the LU every few years and threaten the setup just because that's life?

Thanks for all the tips....

Ppopps

or am I making it sound worse than it is

Yes. The hardest part in the entire process (unless the lower cowl is easily removed -and it might be the case on your engine) is getting the pin back in that connects the shift rod to the linkage. The shift rod height won't get out of adjustment unless you have an 8 year old helper who decides to see what happens when he starts turning the shift rod.

Some sort of water pressure test I'm unaware of

Well, I put water pressure gauges in both of my boats. I know what the water pressure normally runs at idle and at speed, so if it starts dropping off I'd know something's wrong. A lot of people will say to change the impeller every couple of years, my personal opinion is that it doesn't need to be quite that often, but I sure wouldn't want to stretch it out too long waiting for a failure.

Also, after all the problems I've had with the junker Johnson 200 I got on ebay and am now parting out, I'm of the opinion that head temperature gauges are well worth the investment.

Ppopps

Seaman

Yes. The hardest part in the entire process (unless the lower cowl is easily removed -and it might be the case on your engine) is getting the pin back in that connects the shift rod to the linkage. The shift rod height won't get out of adjustment unless you have an 8 year old helper who decides to see what happens when he starts turning the shift rod.

Well, I put water pressure gauges in both of my boats. I know what the water pressure normally runs at idle and at speed, so if it starts dropping off I'd know something's wrong. A lot of people will say to change the impeller every couple of years, my personal opinion is that it doesn't need to be quite that often, but I sure wouldn't want to stretch it out too long waiting for a failure.

Also, after all the problems I've had with the junker Johnson 200 I got on ebay and am now parting out, I'm of the opinion that head temperature gauges are well worth the investment.

Thanks again Metric! Got a link to a water pressure gauge you recommend, or a head temp gauge? Sounds like I'm procrastinating too much and should do both a pump replacement and a gauge install. Do you have a readout on the dash or just under the motor cover when you care to check?

Also, since you seem to be extremely helpful and willing to answer questions, with the LU off to service the pump can I see anything about the condition of my clutch dog or does that require much more disassembly that then requires careful realigning of something when reassembling?

Cheers.

The iboats store sells both gauges. I mounted the water pressure gauge in the dash, and the head temp gauges I'm putting on a small panel which I'll hang off the dash.

No, you won't be able to inspect any of the gearcase internals when servicing the water pump. You'll need the manual to walk you through the gearcase disassembly and reassembly process, and a couple of special tools (one of them is a wrench to hold the driveshaft splines - I made one on the waterjet where I work).

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The clutch dog is something you inspect if you've got the unit apart for something else. It is not something I would pull the unit apart to inspect on its own... Unlike the waterpump, if the unit works and isn't getting water in the oil, leave it be...