1963 75 HP Evinrude - No Spark

Wooden63

Recruit
Hello. I've been trying to get my '63 Evinrude running off and on since it died on me on the water last summer. This year I've put in new points (set to .02), a new condenser, and new a coil. When I turn the key the engine cranks but there is no spark, thus no ignition. The engine is getting fuel and has good compression. I'm looking for any input on what else it could be. My next thought is that there is a problem with the ignition switch but I'm not sure what to check for when I put a meter on it? Any advice or thoughts? Thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 75 HP Evinrude - No Spark

I assume you mean that you set the points to .020 . You don't say if you're using automotive or magneto ignition but I will assume automotive. If you have voltage to the coil and your wiring is as it should be, the usual cause of no spark is due to a rotor shorting out to the shaft upon which it sits. If so, replace the rotor, part # 580338.

Note that the magneto system uses a different rotor and the two are not interchangable. The business end of the magneto rotor (580260) has a hook like appearance to its business end. The automotive rotor (580338) has a standard looking appearance.

Wooden63

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. I did mean .020 as my point setting. The motor is using a magneto ignition. I'll double check the voltage to the coil and go from there. I'll also make note of the part number. I have the service manual and the parts catalog for my engine so I'll double check the part number before ordering. Hopefully that takes care of the issue.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can take off the dist. cap and put a spark plug wire on the contact part of the coil, spin the dist. pully and see if you get a spark to the block. Check and make sure that the wire connecting the two sets of points (you did replace both?) does not rub against the flywheel anywhere. Make sure the killer wire on the distributor is not grounded.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Excellent advice from Chris1956......

Removing the distributor cap of course exposes the coil and if the coil is cracked (whatever) that would be obvious. And if the coil is still in one piece, testing the spark directly from the coil button (If spark exists at that point), that would prove that the rotor is faulty.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Joe, I had to find out the hard way that my Fat-fifty overheated and slightly cracked the rotor, causing spark to come and go. I did not have the experience that you have with those motors. After I ran out of neighbors to tow me back in, after the ign failed during tests, I ended up tracing the spark path until I found the culprit. I gave the rotor the float test....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Those rotors were one of the biggest probs with that magneto ignition system. But still better than what we have today. JMHO.

Wooden63

Recruit

Joe Reeves - Thanks for the input. That was the issue. My rotor was grounding out. Put a new one in and she fired right up. Much appreciated!! Thanks again!!

barrysmarine

Cadet

I have a 1965 Johnson 75 hp magneto ignition in my shop with no spark. It was in a few weeks ago with the same problem, and I replaced the rotor with a used one I had and it worked great for a couple weeks, and then lost spark again. Owner found a tune up kit in the boat, so I installed new points, condensor and rotor, and no spark from the button on the coil. Replaced the coil with a NOS coil off ebay, and still no spark from the button. Put the old condensor back in and no spark. So all of the ignition components are new. What else can I check?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Barry.... This post is a year old. It's best that you go back to the previous page and start a new post which will have your own title and be listed at the top.

However, as long as I'm here this one time... clean the points with a small hobby type brush and either lacquer thinner or acetone, then set the points on the high lobe so that a .020 gauge will go thru but a .022 will not. Also make sure that the wire leading from the coil to the points isn't accidently grounding out where it passes thru the magneto housing or elsewhere. See you on the new post.