no power 200 johnson in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelrod47

Recruit
The magnets on the flywheel on 89' 200 johnson j200txcea came loose,I had them put back and the motor started w/one turn of key. Took boat out ran like a champ for 15-20 mins then lost power,would only go 5 mls an hr. no matter how much gas I gave it. It ran great in neutral and in gear in my driveway. On the way back I heard the motor trying to go then all of a sudden it took off like a champ again then 5 min later lost power again..I don't think it's gas cause I used two separate tanks.. This happened last year but after finding the magnets loose I figured that was the problem. Someone said timing but why would it stop and then go? Up for suggestions anyone!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: no power 200 johnson in water

When the prob happens pull one spark plug wire off at a time and see if you can find a cyl that is not firing either to lack of spark or fuel.

steelrod47

Recruit
135 mercy outboard runs great when going slow as soon as I give it gas it starts to knock until I give it full throttle then it stops. I can then back down the throttle with no more banging. It only happens when I start from a still position whether it's hot or cold. Lower unit oil good,no metal on lower bolt magnet. It runs great at low or high speed,only bangs in between.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
These motors need a constant 50:1 mix fuel to oil ratio if premixing. If not premixing, need to be sure the oiling is working consistently (make sure the reservoir is full to begin with).

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
2 posts on 2 different brand of motors ~ 7yrs apart??
why not just start a new thread about the merc?

it baffles people...

Status
Not open for further replies.