hit object, prop won't spin in gear

jlsjoe

Cadet
Hey guys,

I hit something in the lake yesterday with my late 70's evenrude 15 horse outboard. Prop doesnt turn in forward or reverse. Water pump is still working. I can turn the prop by hand when in forward, reverse or neutral. I hear and feel a little grinding from the lower unit when a I turn the prop by hand while in gear. Ive never been inside the lower unit personally and am hoping to get it fixed before Thursday when I plan a fishing trip. Any thoughts on diagnosis, removal porocedure and quick parts procurement would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your tiime!!

Joe

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: hit object, prop won't spin in gear

Time to pull the prop. Once you get the prop off, see if the shaft still turns, while in forward and reverse. If it does, then you likely broke something inside.

RSchendel

Seaman

You may have broke the drive pin. If your prop shaft has splines, then there is not a drive pin. You could also have spun the hub in the prop. Either will be obvious when you remove the prop. A broken drive pin is the easiest to deal with.

jlsjoe

Cadet

It was late last night and upon further reveiw the grinding sound is actually coming from the lower part of the upper unit, sorry for the mis-information. Have not taken anything apart yet but most likely will this afternoon. The grinding is not real loud and does not offer much resistance if this is helpful info.

Thanls for the quick replies and I will post more info as I progress.

You guys are the best!!

Joe

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Drain your oil and see if any metal chunks fall out.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like maybe a broken drive shaft.

jlsjoe

Cadet

Drain your oil and see if any metal chunks fall out.
e
I just drained the oil and there were no metal chunks but there was a some metal filings. Some were kind of lumped togather