What is the shift linkage under the powerhead for 1991 Johnson 20 hp long shaft ?

Fishday

Recruit
I have some play in my shift linkage. The shift rod in the lower unit does not move immediately with the shift lever.

There is play and I can't get the shift rod to move the final @ 1/4 inch to engage forward.

I can't figure out what the connection is under the powerhead from the schematics and I haven't been able to remove the powerhead yet.

Does anyone know if that connection is something that could get worn out, thus causing this problem ?

Haffiman

Commander
Re: What is the shift linkage under the powerhead for 1991 Johnson 20 hp long shaft ?

It has been some different versions of shaft #38 on below diagram. Originally it was all SST, however there were some with SST chaft and the piece with the two holes was plastic. This sometimes resulted in the plastic getting loose from the shaft (supposed to be one solid piece) and the shaft had to be replaced. You may check by making a mark on the shift lever and one on the grease zerk in center. Then monitor when shifting if the marks stays aligned. If not, replace the shaft!!
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...&section=Midsection+-+20+&+25+Models+Only

Fishday

Recruit
Re: What is the shift linkage under the powerhead for 1991 Johnson 20 hp long shaft ?

Thanks for the reply.

I think that linkage is where I'm getting play.

Why would the grease fitting(42) move independently from the shaft linkage(38) ?

It seems like it's just screwed in to it, and not independent.

Haffiman

Commander

The grease fitting is into the inner steel shaft, the flange where screw #43 goes through might be plastic molded onto the steel shaft. The bonding between steel shaft and plastic gets loose.