1953 evinrude super fastwin 15 hp

fastwin53

Cadet
hey guys i have a 1953 evinrude super fastwin that has a helicoil in the lower spark plug port....i had it put in two years ago but i noticed there was carbon on the plug so i pulled the plug and the helicoil in now ruined but rather than put a new one in, i have another 53 that i picked up for parts.....i was wondering if i can just swap out the back cylinder cover and have fresh threads....do i need a new gasket or can i just use gasket maker? thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1953 evinrude super fastwin 15 hp

I personally would dress the head (put a piece of emory cloth on glass and do figure 8s with the head until it is even) and install a new head gasket.

fastwin53

Cadet

huh...cant i just take the cylinder cover off the back of the spare and put it on the one that i am running now....this way i dont have to screw around with anymore helicoils .....one spark plug port hole is stripped.....is this not possible.....figure eights what the heck are we talking about here ....someone chime in with some english terms ....lol

fastwin53

Cadet

the head is not warped just want to avoid helicoil again so thought i could just swap out the rear head cover with the parts motor one....if i can find a gasket for it.....all this figure eight, glass, stuff would be if i had a warped head im assuming....but no just a spark plug hole that has stripped threads...thanks, fw53

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yes, you can swap the heads. Just trying to help with advice. Have done hundreds of them, and almost all are a little warped. You will be surprised. If you want a better running motor, dress the head, improve compression and be done with it. It only takes a minute or two. You dont want to swap the head with a new head gasket, check compression and find it is still low, then have to take it back apart and dress the head, better to do it first, before the new gasket is ruined. Been there, done that.

fastwin53

Cadet

Yes, you can swap the heads. Just trying to help with advice. Have done hundreds of them, and almost all are a little warped. You will be surprised. If you want a better running motor, dress the head, improve compression and be done with it. It only takes a minute or two. You dont want to swap the head with a new head gasket, check compression and find it is still low, then have to take it back apart and dress the head, better to do it first, before the new gasket is ruined. Been there, done that.
Thanks HighTrim,that was all i was asking...i guess i should check it before i change it.....now how hard will it be to find a new gasket.....parts from other 53 are all there just need a gasket ....