Evinrude 60HP 1989 does not go full speed- acceleration problem

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice
Boat description:

Year:1989
Thundercraft 17feets
Motor: Evinrude 60hp 3 cylinders
VRO: bypassed (mixed manually on the tank)

Problem:

Acceleration.

I push the accelerator to the bottom and the boat does not get up and plane. It moves like a half speed.

Sometimes by itself without touch anything it starts to accelerated full speed, get up and planes very nicely.

What I have done so far:

I already have changed the gas, using a small portable gas tank with brand new fuel line and new gas mixed.
I have opened the front of the carburetors and drained all gas.

I have tuned and adjusted carburetors needles and the accelerator cable.

Please any idea what could be the problem? Why the boat/motor is not going full speed and some times by itself starts to accelerate go full speed and is planning beautifully?

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 60HP 1989 does not go full speed- acceleration problem

sounds like you have an intermittent firing one or more cylinders. try the basics first, test compression, fuel and spark. I'd tend to go with putting a timing light on the spark plug wires see if you're getting spark across all 3 cylinders..

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice

sounds like you have an intermittent firing one or more cylinders. try the basics first, test compression, fuel and spark. I'd tend to go with putting a timing light on the spark plug wires see if you're getting spark across all 3 cylinders..

Thank a lot FishFeature....

I did a compression test on the 3 cylinders and Surprise:

First cylinder (top): 120
Second Cylinder (middle): 42
Thirst Cylinder (Bottom) : 120

What I have to do no? redo the motor and change rings??? how much has to be the compression in each cylinders for a 60HP evinrude 1989??

Thanks a lot for your recommendation.... any idea about what has to be done and how much could cost is really appreciated..

boobie

Supreme Mariner

There are no specs on compression. Pull the cylinder head and have a look. It just may be a head gasket.

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice

There are no specs on compression. Pull the cylinder head and have a look. It just may be a head gasket.

Boobie,

Thanks a lot for your answers... I am a beginner on it..
I assume that the 2 cylinders that have compression 120 are ok; however, the cylinder that is 42 need to be repaired. does it?

the head gasket can be replaced easily?? any instruction really appreciated..

Thanks a lot guy for you help...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just remove the head bolts and pop it off. Then have a look at the gasket and the cyl with the low compression.

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice

Just remove the head bolts and pop it off. Then have a look at the gasket and the cyl with the low compression.

I will do it.... I will let you know..... Thanks a lot...
Usually if something is wrong in the cylinder, piston or ring piston you can see it when you remove the head cylinder... correct????

thanks again...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes............

I think boobie nailed it. I was going to suggest that compression was low. Its hard for an out board to run at top speed when compression isnt where it should be, and the fewer cylinders you have the worse, for instance an old single cylinder w low compression will barely even get out of its own way!!

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice

I think boobie nailed it. I was going to suggest that compression was low. Its hard for an out board to run at top speed when compression isnt where it should be, and the fewer cylinders you have the worse, for instance an old single cylinder w low compression will barely even get out of its own way!!

yes, guys,, your help is really appreciated....

I will open the cylinder head and check the second cylinder... I hope that the problem is just the gasket...
In case that I replace it.. DO you know the torque that I have to use to close it??? I assume that I will have to use some sealant or silicon too.. correct??

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice

Guys, You are amazing.

I have opened it and the head gasket is burned.
Please see attached pictures.
Somebody mentioned to me that the piston can be melted and that means open the engine and redo it.
Based on the pictures, can you tell me:

1) Are the piston melted? DO I have to replace them or I can test the compression that I have with the new gasket and continue running.
2) how I can test the overheat beep? because I do not remember that I had any alarm about it.
3) Base on what you can see, may I replace the thermostat. water pump, gasket and continue using it.

They are asking $3000 to rebuilt the engine (to much for me I paid $3700 for the boat)

Thank a lot.
DSC_0439.jpgDSC_0443.jpgDSC_0444.jpgDSC_0445.jpgDSC_0448.jpg

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice

Here there are some more pictures:

DSC_0449.jpgDSC_0450.jpgDSC_0451.jpgDSC_0452.jpgDSC_0453.jpg

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Gurus,

Some time Ago I have posted the pictures of my .Evinrude 60 HP overheat.
Please see how the problem appears again.

Evinrude 60HP 1989 Overheat

Two Summers ago my Evinrude 60hp overheat the head gasket was burned and the middle piston smelt a little
Scenario:
Overheat Buzzer not working
Water pump was working well
Engine was peeing strongly

I went to the official Evinrude dealer and they redo the engine:

3 carburettors (Done)
Thermostat (done)
Temperature sensor(done)
Piston (Done)
Water pomp (Done)
Temperature Buzzer( was not changed or did not work)

This summer it overheated again and the head gasket was burned (same place that last time middle cylinder). I was checking all time and the engine was peeing very strongly. Busser did not work

1. What are the reason why a engine overheat?
  2. Could be that middle carburetor is not working well and is not feeding the cylinder; therefore, it work dry and burn gasket?
  3. Could the engine overheat with water going through and coming hot? Could be that I did tubing?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
using a flat piece of glass and feeler gauge check for warp in the cylinder head. Find a different dealer.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If these pictures are the latest then there is a problem with one of the pistons the # 2 one !!!!--Does the tell tale hose come off the side of the block or the top ??

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice
the picture are from the first overheat and yes we changed the piston in #2. But it overheat again after just few hours (30 hours-15 time/runs ) that we redo the engine. The tell-tale in on the bottom. Do you thing that this is the problem? because both time I was checking and the engine was peeing strongly.