Help! 1990 johnson 90hp vro v4 outboard motor piston is shot! Newbie!

roseville20

Cadet
my 1990 johnson 90 hp vro v4 outboard motor has a bad piston. I was wondering if it is easy to repair or if i should just bring it to a shop. And if I should bring it in to the shop, what is the average damage i should be expecting coming out of my pocket. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

aquasport175

Cadet
Re: Help! 1990 johnson 90hp vro v4 outboard motor piston is shot! Newbie!

How do you know for sure the piston is shot? Compression check ?Did you pull the head? And if so what did you see? Scarred cylinder walls/metal shavings/busted piston,or all three? Like to help you ,just need a little more info.

roseville20

Cadet

sorry about that. I havent taken any of those things off yet. The guy i bought the motor from said that his buddy tested the compression and it was low. Dont really know anything else about it.

gatorfan6908

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any word yet on what the issue was? Thread has been dormant for a while and I wanted to see what you came up with. If it had low compression, first thing I would check is the head gasket... then the piston rings... low compression after that is caused from something deeply internal and will be over 500$ in my opinion. Anyways... info would be nice!!!!