Shift linkage under powerhead "loose", @1/4 inch of play - 1991 Johnson 20 hp long sh

Fishday

Recruit
Shift linkage under powerhead "loose", @1/4 inch of play - 1991 Johnson 20 hp long sh

Won't shift into forward because the shift rod is not pulled up far enough. The shift lever moves forward part way before it pulls up on the rod. Then when it does finally "engage", it only pulls it up about 1/2 the distance it needs to go.

There must be some connection under the powerhead but I can't figure it out from the schematics. This connection must be worn out.

The rod disconnect is behind the intake screen on the lower unit. A few people surmised that there is a linkage where the lower unit unbolts but I don't think that's the case.

Used this outboard in salt water pretty much year-round for the past 8 years without ever dropping the lower unit. Has been submerged twice. Has started virtually every day , second pull, sometimes first, for the past 8 years.

I tried to drop the LU but I guess the shaft is stuck.

I want to remove the powerhead and get to that connection.

Can anyone shed some light on what that linkage is ? Is it likely to be worn out ?

Whats the best way to bash out a totally frozen shaft ?

I do a lot of mechanics, but haven't too much with outboards, only some.

First time posting. I've read dozens of other posts.

Thanks,
Paul
Cape Cod