VRO Pump 1996 Evinrude 200 HP Vindicator

KVH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I removed the VRO pump and replaced a couple of hoses, hoping a leak would go away. It didn't, it still leaks, right where the 3/8 fuel line goes into the pump. However, it only leaks if I pressurize the system using the manual bulb.

I can't explain the leak, but I think I must have slightly deformed the inlet pipe by over-tightening the hose clamp; or by using the wrong kind of clamp. I had a screw type clamp and replaced it with a spring clamp.

My mechanic/shop strongly suggests I scrap the VRO pump and install a regular pump where I would mix the oil and gas. (I had posted about a hairline crack at one of the screw holes in the pump housing, but they've convinced me it's irrelevant and far too minor an issue).

So, a few questions: a) About that fuel leak that occurs only when I use the manual bulb. Can I ignore that? It doesn't leak when the engine is running. I can't quite justify buying a new pump just because I can't get that hose sealed correctly. My SELOC manual does mention that air leaks can cause a problem for VRO pumps. b) Should I just chill out and let the shop scrap my VRO and install a standard pump? Apparently, several hoses will be abandoned, different wiring installed, and the pump mounted differently. The shop strongly recommends getting rid of a VRO pump.

Thanks again for the help.

KVH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: VRO Pump 1996 Evinrude 200 HP Vindicator

I forgot to mention--I called the dealer and was told I can only buy a new pump. I called Marine Engine and they said the same thing. No parts or housings.