Johnson/evinrude ignition key

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my ignition it says "KF56" I did a search and came up with only 1 key, does anyone know if this is correct. I do not have a dealer anywhere around so I will not be able to go and test out the keys.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson/evinrude ignition key

You really aren't very clear in your post. What motor do you have? Do you have only one key and want a spare or don't have a key at all? KF56 is more than likely the correct key if you motor is pre-1972. Looks like may be hard to find though. If don't have any keys, then may want to think about getting a new ignition switch which will come with 2 keys. They are not very expensive. Hopefully you do own this boat, right? Not accusing, just a passing thought. ;)

-- Jeff

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The KF series keys were up to 1973. See your Bombardier dealer and ask for part number 501571. That's a KF56.They come precut to that configuration.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A really good locksmith can cut a new key to match the old one if you have it. A really, really, really good locksmith can cut one from the code (KF-56). It is a Chicago Lock. Trouble is, good locksmiths are harder to find than chicken fangs.

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

You really aren't very clear in your post. What motor do you have? Do you have only one key and want a spare or don't have a key at all? KF56 is more than likely the correct key if you motor is pre-1972. Looks like may be hard to find though. If don't have any keys, then may want to think about getting a new ignition switch which will come with 2 keys. They are not very expensive. Hopefully you do own this boat, right? Not accusing, just a passing thought. ;)

-- Jeff

LOL, Yes I own the boat, I bought this motor last weekend with controls but it did not come with keys and the Harness was hacked up. Now I can not say that the guy before did not steal it, just kidding. Yes I do not have any keys for it, I thought about just putting a new switch on it but a guy in these forums suggested that I get a key from a dealer. just dont have any around otherwise I would do that. More info on the motor is a 1970 115hp

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

The KF series keys were up to 1973. See your Bombardier dealer and ask for part number 501571. That's a KF56.They come precut to that configuration.

Now I found part # 501805. Anyone know the difference between the 2 part #'s

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm impressed. I've never seen a listing for key part numbers. Anyway, to answer your question, unless a certain part number specifically supersedes a previous number, it is different and probably won't work. In this case, it most likely is a different code. Like trying to use your car key in your neighbors car.

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks F_R. I went ahead and ordered part # 501571. Well see if it works. I hope so Maybe I will be able to run the motor this weekend if it gets here in time.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The Johnson-Evinrude parts and accessory catalog that is shipped annually to dealers, has the part numbers for the specific keys in it .

w2much

Lieutenant

I just purchased the keys I needed from Stevens Instrument Company in waukeegan Illinios. They have all the old Evinrude keys for about 2 bucks a pop. A great find for anyone looking for old keys. Google them, thats how I found them.

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used this company also, they are awesome and cheap... And key works like a dream.