Power Trim problem on 1998 FICHT Evinrude Intruder 150

Sanchito

Recruit
Here's the rundown...My power trim works when it wants. When it decides not to, I can here my relays clicking but I am getting no power to my trim motor. When the thing decides to work it works like a dream but it is so sporadic. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Power Trim problem on 1998 FICHT Evinrude Intruder 150

There is a trim limit switch under the motor cowling in front of the engine...sometimes the button will get hung up. Or you can just cut and splice the two wires together. The switches purpose it to stop the engine from being trimmed to high and hitting the boat

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Or you can try tapping the trim motor and see if you have a sticking brush in it. Good luck

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you suspect the tilt limit switch you don't have to cut and splice anything. Just do some plug and play in the front of the mtr with the blue/white wires. As said above, try rapping the mtr with a small hammer. I suspect a stuck brush.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Often the problem is from corrosion or a bad connection where the trim motor wire connector plugs into the engine wiring, if it is not a faulty trim motor. Pull it apart and inspect.

Sanchito

Recruit

Checked that stuff and got to where the plug runs to the motor. Had 12 volts coming from the relay box. but nothing at the motor. Decided to rip it down found water in the pump. Took the trim motor off of the boat and am now getting 12 volts from the plug to the trim motor. But when I try to run the motor off a 12 volt battery I get nothing. I checked the ohm load to make sure I had current flowing and it was reading around 45 ohms. Could it possibly need to be grounded?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That should be a two wire motor, and not require grounding. 45 ohms resistance sounds too high. I would think the resistance across the field and armature would be real low. Bad commutator? Bad brush?

Sanchito

Recruit

Definitely a two wire motor. I have given up trying to fix this motor and have purchased another. Now i have to fish the wire to the relay box out so I can get ready to install the new trim motor.

Sanchito

Recruit

When I was talking with someone about my problem I stated that I had found oil in my trim motor. He said that it should not have oil in there. Could it possibly have been overfilled or should there be oil inside the trim motor?

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

A 2 wire motor is activated by applying 12v to one of the wires and ground to the other. The motor casing does not need to be grounded for it to operate. Mistake often made when testing this motor. You may just have corroded or sticking relays. Both a connection to 12v and to ground must be made by the relays for the motor to operate and only one relay should activate at a time alternatively one for up and the other for down. You need to check both for 12v and for ground being applied to the motor when the switch is activated. Ground is applied to both motor wires when switch is not activated. You can buy inexpensive auxiliary lighting relays at the auto parts store to test with (must have 5 terminals, not just 4), but these will only be rated for 20 amps. Correct ones are rated for 30. The cheaper ones will function, but will not last as long.

My .02

-- Jeff

Sanchito

Recruit

Does anyone know how to remove the connector that connects the trim wires to the relay box? I want to use the same connector on my new motor.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are small pieces of the copper connectors that hold the plug onto the wires. Make note of what wire goes where, and then bend the little tang to release the wire from the plug.