1961 Johnson Evinrude Lightwin 3 hp Twin Cam

andyb9203

Cadet
Hey guys! Just picked up a 16 Evinrude Lightwin. Here are my dilemnas - couldnt get it started from the get go - cleaned out carb, had fuel (or so I thought) and motor started three times for me but died right away. Then realizes I was getting really low amounts of fuel from the tank to the carb, so we fixed the petcock assembly and now im getting great flow. Spark is perfect, fuel is good, still wont start. Any tricks? It HAS started a few times but died after a second or two...is there a primer I should know about? Also, I have two knobs for fuel (Rich or Lean) - - and where do those need to be when starting (if it matters)

Thanks guys! New to this boating thing, could really use some help!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Johnson Evinrude Lightwin 3 hp Twin Cam

Open the slow speed needle about 1 1/2 turns, and high speed about a turn. That will get it running but will need re-adjustment for best performance once warmed up

The only "primer" is the choke knob

nwcove

Admiral

dont forget to open the vent on the fuel cap!!

andyb9203

Cadet

Still nothing - Wants to go, but just will not turn over. Any other suggestions?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Spray pre-mix fuel into the carb throat with it opened up and try starting it.

lindy46

Captain

You say you "cleaned out the carb" - did you dismantle it, clean out all the inner passages, remove and clean under the welch plug, and install a new carb kit?

andyb9203

Cadet

So educate me on this welch plug, where it is, and what to do. I have sprayed some starting fluid into the carb throat, and nothing. Head gasket is good, spark is good, fuel is coming through lines.

New carb kit was installed, cleaned out all passages. Not quite sure about this welch plug tho - let me know guys! Thanks...:):):):):)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The Welsh plug is that little round disk on top of the carburetor. There are a couple of tiny holes beneath it that the idle fuel goes through as it enters the carburetor throat. That might be an issue if your problem was poor idle. But even if those were completely plugged up, the motor would start and run at high speed---just wouldn't idle.

So, look for something else. You probably don't have a carb problem at all. OR, it may be getting TOO MUCH fuel. Have you considered that?

You say "spark is perfect". That statement doesn't impress me at all. Have you checked the ignition system? Those motors can have "good" spark, but still fail to run, if the coils are cracked. And cracked coils are very common in motors that old.

nwcove

Admiral

i dont see any mention of a compression test ? you can have good spark and fuel, but if the compression is low it will be a no go.

andyb9203

Cadet

Compression test is tomorrow - i did take the flywheel off and found BOTH coils really badly cracked - ordered up for tomorrow and will try from there. Hopefully that does it as it would make send to me.......at $30 a piece I hope so, but the motor was free so i cant complain, LOL. I actually found that one of the plugs is getting a pretty weak spark, so Im hoping thats because of the coil. I am going to replace regardless, but cross the fingers and hope this takes care of it!

Thanks so much, I will get back to you tomorrow!

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

You've probably already turned the low and high speed knobs but I thought I'd mention this: Had an 18 Evinrude that always ran and after one winter I could not get it to start. I even took it off the boat and bounced it upside down in hopes that the float was stuck and the jarring would loosen it. Spent the rest of the day using my 5 Clinton back-up motor. Anyway, when I got it home in the barrel I opened the high or low ( I can't remember which) needles and she started and ran great. Wish I had thought of that out on the river. Must have been a piece of some detritus blocking the flow of fuel. If you haven't; open the needles and try it. good luck!

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, I skipped over your last reply about the coils or I wouldn't have mentioned the carb. Old cracked coils can be very deceiving and apparently you've found the problem.