1986 110 Johnson stuck piston ring?

meh3

Recruit
I have a 110 Johnson that was rebuilt with .030 over rings a few years back. It doesn't have many hours on the rebuild but it has sat for 6 years or so.

Anyhow.. When turning the flywheel by hand it sticks in two spots hard enough that you can't really turn it without a breaker bar and socket. The starter has no problem turning it at least with the spark plugs out.

I have taking the head covers off and noticed that it sticks when the #3 piston is past the exhaust ports. I am unable to move the #3 piston around at all when it is in the stuck position. The other pistons can be moved side to side in all positions. Didn't see any damage or rust. Tried soaking everything in pb blaster which didn't help it at all.

Is this something I should worry about or should I just order a replacement power pack and put it all back together. Then run some OMC tuner in it once it is running?

I just ordered the factory manual and a micrometer in case I do have to tear it apart...

Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 110 Johnson stuck piston ring?

You should worry about it. Possible that the ring is already cracked/broken. If you run it with a broken ring, the ring will break into bits during piston movement. These pieces can further damage your cyl walls, head and the piston. You really need to see inside that cylinder to know what is going on. Pull off the head on that side. If it's the outer ring, you should be able to see a broken ring by moving the piston around by hand and observing to see if the top ring is continuous or not. It's normal for the piston to move around in the cylinder enough to make your inspection. A pencil light is helpful. If the ring is catching on one of the intake/exhaust ports, you are probably looking at tearing it down to correct the problem.