89 110 evinrude timing questions and plug questions

the gman

Cadet
just rebuilt a 110 evinrude and I removed the vro system so I broke the engine in on 36-1 oil. I also installed boyseen reeds during the install and the roller that was in the slot for the timing lever seemed to have either wore down or the outer part,if there was one was gone so I picked up a roller from a hardware store to take up some slop. Does this motor have alot of slop between the roller and slot or not???? Also I had a miss at wide open throttle and found one of the wires were bad so ordered new ones and they are the ones you have to put together. Does anyone make premade wires that are 9 inches long??? the ones I got I had to put the end on.....And I am running non ethenol gas and tried the gapless plugs but have not had good luck with them. Are they anygood/????

Thanks for any and all responces...Gary

the gman

Cadet
Re: 89 110 evinrude timing questions and plug questions

what about fixed gap plugs????

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What about them? They are called surface gap and are recommended for some engines while standard plugs are recommended for others. If you've not had good luck with them you either have the wrong type or they are not recommended for your engine. As for timing advance parts you need a service manual for your engine and especially if you need to make adjustments. Throttle and timing must be synchronized for the engine to operate properly. That process is called "Link&Sync" and is quite lengthy. No shortcuts there. You start at the beginning and follow it step by step to the end. Skip a step or try to start in the middle and you can screw up a perfectly good engine.

the gman

Cadet

I rebuilt the powerhead after I found two pistons that were broke. I purchaced this boat this way and yes I have the factory service manual. when I was doing the link and synk I noticed the round part (roller), was about half the size of the slot it runs in so the spark advance doesnt seem to stay right??? anyway if there was a bigger roller on the round part it may of fell off prior to me buying the boat and just wanted to see if there was. As for the fixed gap how do you tell if they are fouled???? Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It's common for the outer clear plastic "skin" to deteriorate and fall of that roller with age. Get a new one from your Bombardier dealer. Ask for part 432639. Under $ 10. If that roller skin is missing, the engine just won't run right.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's common for the outer clear plastic "skin" to deteriorate and fall of that roller with age. Get a new one from your Bombardier dealer. Ask for part 432639. Under $ 10. If that roller skin is missing, the engine just won't run right.
Based on his description of the roller riding in a slot, I can't help but think that he may be referring to the cam follower roller.
If so, that's part number 432572 (Item #65 in the cylinder and crankcase schematic of the BRP catalog)