1972 Evinrude cooling problem

kemperhills

Recruit
When my father died a couple of years ago he gave his boat to my son. I has a 1972, 40 HP, model # 40152G Evinrude outboard and I can't get the waterpump to pump.

The boat set up for about ten years, then it has been two years since my son received the boat. I ordered a water pump rebuild kit from an Evinrude dealer and installed the kit. But no water circulates through the motor. At least none comes out the port that it used to come out of.

I have checked the best I know how to make sure the water passages are not clogged.

Could anyone give me any idea how to get this problem fixed. Any help would be appreciated as this boat is important to my son.

Thanks.

kemperhills

Recruit
Re: 1972 Evinrude cooling problem

Ok, let me ask this question. I have been a mechanic for 45 years. Autos and small engine repair, but I know next to nothing about working on outboard motors.

So, since I have replaced the water pump in this outboard, how hard is it to remove the engine to see if the water jacket in the motor is some how clogged as it sat up so long.

Thanks.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1972 Evinrude cooling problem

How were you testing to see if the pump was working?
If testing in a barrel, the water has to be very high up on the leg in order for it to pump.
If you are sure that you are testing correctly and it is not pumping (does the powerhead get hot?) then take the lower unit off, rig up a hose to the copper water tube going up to the powerhead and see if it comes back out the exhaust. Not too much pressure.
Unfortunately there is no thermostat on this model, so you can't check there...