94 40 hp Evinrude hood/cowling cover???s

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My son has a friend who's family has a 1994 40 horse Evinrude on their 'toon.
They asked me for help.
Said as they were driving along it seemed to "slip otta gear".
Motor still running good, but just like in nuetral.
Someone else looked at it, checked cables and controls, then decided it was in fact trouble in the lower unit.
Owner was trying to find a trailer to take whole boat to shop, or someone to make a housecall.
I offered to look and see what I could do.
Seemed like lower unit issue to me too, so I pulled it off and he has taken it to a repair shop locally.
All it took was 5 bolts removed from the mid section and it dropped right off. The vertical shaft just slipped out, and the shift linkage did not seem to be hooked to anything.
Thought that the linkage may have come undone and that was the cause of the slipping.
I found schematics of the lower and shift linkage.
Appears that there are a couple "clips" and screws that fasten the linkage on the motor to the rod headed for the lower.
I did not see any of those pieces laying in the cowling or anything either...so there is one of my questions. :)
My other involves the lower half of the hood/cowling and how it fastens or mounts. Is it easiest and best to remove the 2 halfs of the "cover" in order to gain access enough to hook the shift lever back up?? Minimal clearance under the carbs to get at anything. I have never had to split the cover there on any of my motors and guessing that is how you do it...Appreciate any help or wisdom from someone who may have had to deal with similar before...I would hate to miss something easy and spend 2 days removing and replacing carbs when 3 or 4 bolts drop that cowling. THANKS ! ! !

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 94 40 hp Evinrude hood/cowling cover???s

Got it!

The owner and his father in law pulled the starter.
That allowed just enough room to get at the shift linkage hook up.
Everything was in place except the shoulder bolt hooking the shift rod from the lower to the linkage.
Learned how the shift rod threads in and out in order to adjust the mechanism.
Trial and error a few times to adjust that, then found the fine tuning thumb screw on the cable.
Between the 3 of us we got it all together in a little less than an hour.
They are happy to have their 'toon back.

Repair shop checked out the lower, installed a new impeller, all new seals, new lube-gear oil, and pressure checked the unit. Owner got a bill for that stuff and the shoulder bolt that went AWOL, but seemed good with it.

Had I known more about things earlier, I may have know that the missing shoulder bolt was all that was needed, but had no real idea what I was looking for.

It was a learning experience for me:)